Motorbiscuit Article on MJ values ...

NHMJXJ

Ah! Reminds me of an MJ I saw in my area on marketplace a couple of weeks back... I try to stay up to date on prices and the few Comanches changing hands in my province. In summer 2020, there was this maroon, 2WD column shift 4.0 '88 long bed, slightly rusty with faded paint and rusty floors for sale for a cheeky (so I thought at the time) 6500$CAD. The guy who bought it patched the floor, did the brakes and put some Bassett wheels on, and put it for sale early october this year for 10500$CAD. Something like 2 weeks later, it pops up again for sale, from another guy in another city, this time in black. Fresh out of the spray booth with a quickie paint job; everything got hosed black, including all the trim. That shady guy even threw on some 4x4 badges, but he included a pic of the undercarriage where we can clearly see that the t-case, front driveshaft and diff are all missing. The price? Well 23500$CAD of course! Last week it was down to 18000$. The nicest unmolested survivors hover around 6000-9000$ around here, so I hope that seller has some patience!:laugh:

I often think about peoples perceptions of classic cars. I was listening to a murder mystery podcast the other day the murder took place in 1985 and one of the victims friends was going on and on about her classic 1965 mustang and how nice it was (in a  1985 police interview after the murder). 

I thought to myself "wow that car was only 20 years old back then and they still talked about it with such reverence." To put it in perspective no one is talking about 2001 mustangs in the same way today....just some food for thought.

part of that is likely due to the mid 60s being a complete game changer when it comes to performance cars and thus the early mustang would be revered as such (especially since the HP dropped so substantially in the 80s).  a 2001 mustang was simply not a game changer in any way. 

fun fact, they made about as many 1969 Mustangs as all of the MJs put together. 

But that is a boon for potential truck shoppers. You can grab a pristine late-model Jeep Comanche 4×4 for $30,000. That’s 50% lower than the price of an equivalent Jeep J10, Hagerty says. And good-to-excellent models are even cheaper; you can pick one up for $10,000-$20,000.

Ive always said that Id never sell my Comanche, but if someone wants to give me $20,000 for it, Id probably take it. 

23 minutes ago, dasbulliwagen said:

if someone wants to give me $20,000 for it, Id probably take it. 

I wouldn't think twice.  I'd say "show me the money".

Half the fun is looking.  I know I can find something sweet for less and have extra $ to do what I want to it.