Can anyone identify this Jeep DJ?

CMMagnussen

Was looking for my Willys wagon project on marketplace and tripped over this.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/591638648846128/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post

Postal vehicle.. yeah I agree

1974, not a chance

All fiberglass body, that's not normal for a DJ

YJ inspired lift hood, DJs went out of production in 84 last I checked YJ was 87

Any guesses?

I considered that, but DJs used a steel body this thing is all glass. As for the nose I have owned a couple YJ clips made out of fiberglass and they tilted forward. Even if you found an aftermarket nose finding the tub and roof (they are one piece on this thing) would be unlikely. 

Structofab Automotive Co. There is a high probability the Jeep's chassis is a 74. Supposedly this company was taking carcasses installing their own fiberglass bodies then rounding out the retrofit with a 4 cylinder diesel.

I have found 3 of these machines since last night. Conversions took place in the late 80s hence the YJ styling.

I will keep looking around, seems interesting.

• 1 year later...

this is my jeep, i purchased it a couple of months ago and had it shipped to Ga, i am just getting started on the restoration, the carb is obviously missing as is the crank pulley and a couple of other items, i don't know the condition of the engine yet but after i get the tires and wheels right and the brake system rebuilt then i will fool with the engine, it is in really good shape for what it is and i will get it up and running hopefully before next spring

2 minutes ago, scott said:

this is my jeep, i purchased it a couple of months ago and had it shipped to Ga, i am just getting started on the restoration, the carb is obviously missing as is the crank pulley and a couple of other items, i don't know the condition of the engine yet but after i get the tires and wheels right and the brake system rebuilt then i will fool with the engine, it is in really good shape for what it is and i will get it up and running hopefully before next spring

IMG_3406.JPG

IMG_3410.JPG

IMG_3413.JPG

IMG_3415.JPG

IMG_3416.JPG

IMG_3419.JPG

IMG_3426.JPG

43 minutes ago, scott said:

Very cool!

I googled the company and came up with this:

https://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/1839y.html

Mr. David Blumberg
Structofab, Inc.
915 Clifton Avenue
Clifton, NJ 07013

Dear Mr. Blumberg:

This responds to your letter asking whether your company qualifies as a "remanufacturer." You explained that your company acquires the chassis (without the body) of right hand drive jeep-type vehicles that have been used by the United States Postal Service. You further explained that your company undertakes extensive operations to repair, restore, and replace parts of the used chassis and to add to the chassis a new body, hood, seats, and interior. There is no "remanufacturer" category in any of this agency's laws or regulations. However, based on the facts presented in your letter, your company would appear to be a "manufacturer."

Section 102(5) of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act (15 U.S.C. 1391(5)) defines a "manufacturer" as "any person engaged in the manufacturing or assembling of motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment, including any person importing motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment for resale." (emphasis supplied) Since your company plans to assemble vehicles, it would appear to be a "manufacturer" under this definition and subject to the responsibilities imposed on a manufacturer by the Safety Act and our regulations issued thereunder.

Among these responsibilities are:

1. Registration. 49 CFR Part 566, Manufacturer Identification, requires a "manufacturer" of motor vehicles to submit identifying information and a description of items produced.

2. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and Certification: Section 114 of the Safety Act (15 U.S.C. 1403) requires each "manufacturer" to certify that every one of its new vehicles complies with all applicable safety standards. The agency's longstanding position with respect to vehicles assembled by adding new bodies to the chassis of vehicles previously registered for use on the public roads is that such vehicles are themselves considered used motor vehicles. This agency position means that manufacturers such as your company would not be required to certify that such vehicles comply with all applicable safety standards as of the date the vehicle is assembled.

The only exception to this general rule arises under section 108(a)(2)(A) of the Safety Act, which prohibits any manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or motor vehicle repair business from "rendering inoperative" any device or element of design installed in a vehicle in compliance with an applicable safety standard. We have interpreted this provision of the law as requiring any person (other than the vehicle owner) that has removed an old body in order to install a new one to ensure that the newly assembled vehicle meets the standard that the vehicle originally did (e.g., a vehicle comprised of a body manufactured in 1989 mounted on a used 1976 chassis must meet all standards that applied to vehicles manufactured in 1976). Your company would be responsible for any violations of this requirement for all of its vehicles from which your company itself has removed the old body from the used chassis and for all vehicles from which the old body was removed from the used chassis at the behest of your company.

3. Notification and Remedy. The Safety Act requires manufacturers to notify owners and remedy without charge to the owners any safety-related defect discovered in the assembled vehicle.

For your information, I have enclosed a general information sheet for new manufacturers that summarizes the provisions of our law and regulations and tells how to get copies of our regulations. If you have any further questions or need additional information on this subject, please feel free to contact Marvin Shaw of my staff at this address or by telephone at (202) 366-2992.

Sincerely,

Stephen P. Wood Acting Chief Counsel

Enclosure

/ref:VSA#566 d:6/9/89

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

this is it now, still a work in progress but after rebuilding the entire suspension and brakes, repairing the engine and doing some serious cleaning ,its roadworthy again and a blast to drive but it gets scary around 60 mph, the SBC is a beast in this little guy

IMG_2107.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG