Cornfed's 89 Comanche

7 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Fiat linked one of my threads in here on to finding the actual cap that fits on the reservoir. Also found out that the 80’s GM caps for their reservoirs fit as well. Little snug but it still works. 

Indeed they did however I didn't have any luck finding one using 48-400 cap but I didn't have any luck. I took inspiration from that and the gm post and looked at an old oil jug sitting around and went I wonder and it works for free. So I am happy with that. I haven't sat down and actually looked for one off of a gm yet.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

I actually used to use the oil cap you’re talking about. But I just wanted to make sure that options are around. 

Absolutely and I'm pretty sure a few of those caps would fit too. I happened to trip over this and thought I'd share it because like you said it's an option that others might need.

5 minutes ago, m2bandit said:

It's so cool to randomly see my parts in a build thread!  I'm glad you're happy with them.

You've made a lot of progress in a short time, looking good!

Let's see I've got both switch panels to replace factory. I just ordered the cig panel and radio mount last week. The only thing I ain't got because I don't ever plan on needing it is the clock replacement panel and I've considered getting it incase you ever stop selling them.

14 hours ago, CornFed said:

Let's see I've got both switch panels to replace factory. I just ordered the cig panel and radio mount last week. The only thing I ain't got because I don't ever plan on needing it is the clock replacement panel and I've considered getting it incase you ever stop selling them.

That's awesome. Well I hope the day I stop selling them never comes. You can get blockoff plates for carling holes on Amazon. I'd make them myself but the Chinese are all over it.

It's been a long week and an uneventful one at that. I can honestly say after I've completed my work today I've ran out of projects for the time being that I have parts for. The only thing holding me up now is money. However I have one planned ill talk about a little later.

I started off today lying on my back on the concrete driveway. It'd sure be nice to have a lift kit and bigger tires so I'd fit under it on a creeper. When I first started driving I wired up new lic plate lights it worked fine until I had exhaust put on then I think he broke my homemade wiring. So today I fixed it and did it "right"20211203_134657.jpg.de54f317fb7d08851158630852d8a518.jpg20211203_134652.jpg.91583ad329d12f57a27872f3128afab2.jpg The white black wires are from the lic plate lights and the blue ones are to and from the taillight. 20211203_141043.jpg.0c9c8bc3b5c4f85a7c3c8185cba8ab66.jpg

The red hot wire here runs into the blue hot wire from taillight harness on the driver side. I ran the ground to the right side and used an existing bolt hole to ground it out.20211203_153018.jpg.04af3578bf6d779c46b109fdfe1e01cc.jpg

The top plug in the photo goes to my right side lic plate light. The next plug runs to my passenger side taillight. The exposed wire is a ground wire but It was taped up. You can see my ground wire that I tan to an existing bolt hole in the photo as well. 20211203_153002.jpg.84a041e8c05b562cfbe6de3948e03d98.jpg The main harness plug is on the far right thats my hot wire coming on from the bottom of the picture. The only other plug you see Is one that loops around to my left lic plate light. The finished product looking fine as wine. Those led plate lights light up the Jeep logo on the tailgate real nice. 20211203_181122.jpg.16264ed4d6f762c8cb906a649c9dbc65.jpg

Next I took a break to rest my back and stand up a spell. I pulled a handful of caps off a old Cadillac we had sitting in a field to see what would fit and I got lucky the coolant cap fit my resivor. I will pull the year and model one day and put it on here somewhere if you can buy them new.20211203_153717.jpg.20faca372d33302ae1e4a700feda885c.jpg

Went back to wiring after that and put in my 4way relay so that they'd work. Quick and easy just like when I did the turnsignal relay. These make it so that I can run leds everywhere on the truck including the dash lights. Excuse the fact that my right turn signal has a green tint to it. I'm hoping it'll wear off like the left one did.20211203_173709.jpg.8d2a515795ab837850b44637ae252843.jpg

I installed my new phone mount today and coincidentally had my a nice mad spell when the old one came off and took the dash with it. I was hot ill be here to tell you because that dash was perfect. 20211203_172907.jpg.569708a5a35789751b49fcfaf4756ee4.jpg20211203_170347.jpg.c8c09431ed6891afd07210b037bb4c8c.jpg I'm using a 6in charger cable running from a usb port. The plate that it all mounts to was made by @m2bandit Ive grown real fond everything I bought. With a phone in the mount it can be angled so that you won't touch it In 1st gear even if you completely cover the shifter with your fist. I really like the location of it too for the truck as well.

I still wasn't done for the day because I has to cover that hideous flaw in my dash now and I'm still a might bit upset about it too. I ordered a dash mat and it's the reason I relocated my phone mount to begin with. I did provide some of my own velcro to mount it with however it does come with some. To start with I prepped with rubbing alcohol.20211203_171925.jpg.f8ee92db8f437df244b6dd0df4d3b719.jpg

Then I added velcro to the glove box real well because I didn't want it to be lose anywhere since it'd be the most noticeable. 20211203_172349.jpg.7399d0f314d5ad8acdcebbe923ac5142.jpg

Then I forgot to get a picture of the main dash mounts for it because I'm an idiot. So we will skip to the finished product with monogramming CornFed's Commanche20211203_172517.jpg.1ce555d98f1762de973e69bec8ccbefe.jpg20211203_173456.jpg.500958f83948e944713498093aeb2e16.jpg20211203_173504.jpg.abb2747ccc70ca28bca7840e54886419.jpg20211203_173553.jpg.6f05ac1a673cf069a77c0a527bd37499.jpg

So that's got me mostly out of projects. If you look closely you'll notice my passenger door panel is still off its crank window went out. If you rolled it all the way down it wouldn't roll back up because its stripped out. However if its up about a quarter inch out of the trim it will. It's temporarily fixed so that I can roll it up and down and it not get stuck. I stuck a 2x4 under the window track so it'll stop on it. I'm trying to find a replacement I just need to call a mechanic I know who also has a Junkyard. Then I'll put the door back together. 

Next on my list that I want to fix just need to order a kit. I want to put me some bed/toolbox lighting in. All I need to do is order me a led under glow kit and slap it In. Only reason I go that way instead of just a plain bed lighting kit is I want it to be able to change colors. I may order a kit this week. I'll definitely wind up looking I just ain't done it yet.

I'm waiting on capital to buy a donor xj for the 4x4 swap. I find them all day long for sale I just don't have the 6 to 800 dollars to spare right now for the donor. Especially because I'll still have to find a Ax5 transmission for the comanche 2 5l motor. It's looking like anyway I go ill have to regear the axles out of any donor cherokee to 4.10s. So dang. Yet that has us up to speed on all projects hope everyone reading this enjoys my ramblings.

4 hours ago, Pete M said:

adds character for sure. :D  you're not the first, nor will you be the last to misspell it... but you did it in a much more... permanent manner than most.  :L:  

The bad part is I don't think I've ever misspelled it, now that would make this a first if i did. So what I'm trying to see if I can view the order so it'll show exactly what I wrote. Then see if covercraft will replace it if it was them who made the mistake which I highly doubt is what happened. 

On 12/9/2021 at 8:36 PM, eaglescout526 said:

Y’all kiddin? Companies love to misspell our trucks. Like when I ordered my Jeep sunscreen, the model said commanche

Well bad part is I just got home and checked the receipt. It's wrong on that to so I'm pretty sure I made the screw up. I might give them a call this week and see if I can order just the glovebox piece and fix that, dagummed idiot.

21 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Lol is not the end of the world. Course I'm sure the actual Comanche nation hates it more than we see it happen.

Like I said it's the only time I believe I've ever misspelled it. I guess that goes to show I should've proof read if better.

On 12/3/2021 at 4:44 PM, CornFed said:

I installed my new phone mount today and coincidentally had my a nice mad spell when the old one came off and took the dash with it. I was hot ill be here to tell you because that dash was perfect.

Sadly they're all super brittle by now. Too bad there's no cure aside from a dash mat.

1 hour ago, m2bandit said:

Sadly they're all super brittle by now. Too bad there's no cure aside from a dash mat.

I wonder if I can get it redone? If I ever pull it I'd like to either replace it or have it redone.

22 minutes ago, Pete M said:

good steel is sourced from out west or down south.  good plastics are sources from up north.  WA counts as both those locations.  :D

I know I wouldn't mind having me a steering wheel like that. I've always thought it looks better than mine. But I'd like a chrome and wood grain probably because I've been thinking of getting a wood grain dash bezel.