Automatic Transmission Question

All,

I'd like to change my automatic transmission filter and fluid on my 89 Comanche. I don't think it's ever been change. Several years ago I asked a repair shop to change the filter and he said that if he did, it would never work the same again.

I recently read an article by "Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers" and they said that was a myth. They were talking about another vehicle, but I figure it would be the same for a Comanche.

Any opinions?

Thanks,

Robert

All,

I'd like to change my automatic transmission filter and fluid on my 89 Comanche. I don't think it's ever been change. Several years ago I asked a repair shop to change the filter and he said that if he did, it would never work the same again.

I recently read an article by "Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers" and they said that was a myth. They were talking about another vehicle, but I figure it would be the same for a Comanche.

Any opinions?

Thanks,

Robert

It'll be fine, I've changed the filter and fluid in several 150K plus mile AW4's without any problems

Go get a filter and gasket set from any parts store. It was like 12 bucks for it when I did it on my J10. Then just drop the pan (if you don't have a drain plug) unbolt old filter, bolt on new one, then put the pan back on with the new filter and fill it back up. Not sure how much you'll need to put in, but make sure that you check the fluid when it's running and warm.

Just change the fluid.

The "filter" in an AW4 isn't really a filter, it's just a screen. It screens out coarse stuff, but not fine particles. A couple of years ago an ex-girlfriend wanted a used Cherokee. We found her an '89 with 165,000 miles on it. It was pretty obvious that it had just been driven, without much maintenance. The tranny pan had never been off.

Like a good boy scout, I bought a new filter and dropped the pan. First lesson -- the lower half of the tranny dipstick is an integral part of the pan. And you will NOT get it off the upper half without destroying the upper half. I had to hit three dealers before I found one in stock. The reason? Because they always have to replace it when they drop the pan.

Once that was resolved, it was time to reassemble. Hmmm ... "Hey, Erich -- which of these screens is the new one?"

"Ummm, I don't know. That one, I think."

The old one, with 165,000 miles on it, was virtually indistinguishable from the new one. Since I had the new one I put it in, but in retrospect it was a waste of time, effort and money. The old one was fine.

x2 on everything they have said. The AW-4 has a drain plug in it.

4.2 quarts Dexron II/III DO NOT USE ATF+4, Chryco recommeds it, but its the wrong fluid.

Wix part number 58936 is the filter part number.

Just change the fluid.

The "filter" in an AW4 isn't really a filter, it's just a screen. It screens out coarse stuff, but not fine particles. A couple of years ago an ex-girlfriend wanted a used Cherokee. We found her an '89 with 165,000 miles on it. It was pretty obvious that it had just been driven, without much maintenance. The tranny pan had never been off.

Like a good boy scout, I bought a new filter and dropped the pan. First lesson -- the lower half of the tranny dipstick is an integral part of the pan. And you will NOT get it off the upper half without destroying the upper half. I had to hit three dealers before I found one in stock. The reason? Because they always have to replace it when they drop the pan.

Once that was resolved, it was time to reassemble. Hmmm ... "Hey, Erich -- which of these screens is the new one?"

"Ummm, I don't know. That one, I think."

The old one, with 165,000 miles on it, was virtually indistinguishable from the new one. Since I had the new one I put it in, but in retrospect it was a waste of time, effort and money. The old one was fine.

I disagree..

Drop the pan and change the filter. The main killer of the AW4 is heat and a dirty screen will cause the fluid to not flow well. I've delt with my fare share of AW4's (now on #4 in my XJ) and every one of them I've changed the filter in and all 4 of them were EXTREAMLY dirty. I've also performed the task on several local GLXJ members's XJ's and I can say that every screen I've ever seen is has been in need of replacement/cleaning. Just because the 1 you did/seen was clean does not mean that the 90% of the other XJ's/MJ's on the road are.

Also the dipstick is not an integrated part of the pan. It's just an "o" ring that holds it in. Just pull the pan and the dipstick tube apart and it will come right out.

I disagree as well. Anyone who has drained an AW4 from the plug and then removed the pan will know that there is still about a quart in the pan as well as the gunk that sits on the bottom of the pan.

I've replaced the filter/screen whatever you want to call it because it is gunked up. Separating the dipstick tube isn't really necessary, just remove the bolt that holds the tube to the bellhousing and pull the whole thing out the bottom.

I changed my filter at 60k and now have 85k. I will be draining the pan and adding an replaceable inline filter in the cooler tube. I'm also adding a temp gauge and a large cooler.

Now that's a great idea. Those inline tranny filters come is all shapes, sizes, and types. Are you talking about a magnetic filter like this?

http://www.emergingent.com/subpage1Magnefine.htm

I guess it would be best to put it in the cooler return line. I have the little factory tranny cooler, but it's better than nothing.