how big of a coil am I going to need

I got close to 8 on my front With just SOA and its not to my liking yet. Its sit to low in the front for me. I like the nose to be up alittle. I am going to drop the rear and see what happens then. I was thinking 2wd springs for it also. At that height you are going to have Alot of steering concerns that might need fabricating and Long arms would be a must at that height

Cole

This sounds like what I'm dealing with. ;) Here's my story...

I'm probably going to wind up with about 8"-9" of lift or so myself. :roll:

I won't know for sure until the build is further along.

I plan on running Q78-15 Swampers that are 35.5" tall with 27/32" of tread depth :chillin: . I am cutting my front fenders and inner fenders for max. up travel. I would like 6" of compression travel in the front and about 7" in the rear. For shocks the fronts will be 11"-12" travel shocks and the rear will be 12"-14" travel shocks. I will be mounting my extended shackles 3" higher so they are inside the frame rail to help lower the rear some. The rear has Stanley springs which seem to give 3" of lift. I plan on removing the overload leaf and adding a couple of standard leaves to help deal with spring wrap. It will also get a HD rear bumper to add some wieght and protect the rear springs some since the shackles won't hang as low.

I will be using 5.13 geared 65" wide HP D44 axle in the front and a 9" in the rear SOA. I'm hoping my custom box with the XJ fuel tank mounted in it, along with the tool, spare part containers, battery and spare tire in it will make it closer to 7" of lift. I'm also extending the cab to use 2dr XJ doors on the longer cab. My custom box will be pretty heavy which will help also.

The front suspension will either be a radius arm or 3 link with a trackbar. The rear will run a traction bar.

I'm hoping that the rear will wind up in the 7" range with luck. I'm not a big fan of the almost flat 2wd leaf springs because they are too flat to allow the up travel I want.

The wider axles should offset the higher COG and the extra clearance will be nice since I'm used to the XJ's shorter wheelbase.

By the time the frame plating is done along with the other work it won't be a lightwieght.