1988 SoCal Jeep Comanche Build

14 minutes ago, Salvagedcircuit said:

That's one excellent method to paint bolts! The United States Postal Service, If it fits it ships a proud sponsor American vehicle restoration. :L:

The seller on that amazon link is:

There is a good chance that kit is import rubbish that might not meet your expectations.

I've used these cables below on my longbed and they fit and work well. Granted, I don't know if raybestos quality is any better than the link you posted, but just thought i'd let you know. One of these cables is for longbed only. There is a shorter shortbed version of one of the cables. I forgot which one.

Parking brake cable cabin:
RAYBESTOS BC93589
Parking brake cable rear:
RAYBESTOS BC93591

The kit is high quality and appears to be the same as the Lokar kit that’s 2-3x the price.  Probably made in the same factory.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, SoCalJeepComanche said:

The kit is high quality and appears to be the same as the Lokar kit that’s 2-3x the price.  Probably made in the same factory.

Ok cool. Sometimes I forgot to check the supplier on amazon, it's so easy to overlook.

The parts are coming out looking great otherwise :drool:. Keep it up!

5 minutes ago, Salvagedcircuit said:

Ok cool. Sometimes I forgot to check the supplier on amazon, it's so easy to overlook.

The parts are coming out looking great otherwise :drool:. Keep it up!

Thanks!  It’s getting there for sure

2 hours ago, Drahcir495 said:

What a great build up thread :applause:. I am amazed at how you were able to go through the engine bay wiring :beerchug:. Very nice MJ by the way!

Thanks!  Certainly a labor of love.  Took way too much time to redo the harnesses.

Been making some good progress and finally have most of the truck back together.  

I installed 4.5" RE springs with an extra isolator on top, which seems a bit better than the RE 5.5" springs (which netted about 6.5" of lift--too much for me).

2101644130_2023-04-0911_42_44.jpg.c2c57a05bdf480a45473c5f88b51e80c.jpg

I painted my 1.5" aluminum steering gloss black, as well as the sway bar (with new bushings).  I also installed Clayton's high-steer swaybar brackets, which weld onto the inner C's on the axle:

1783951657_2023-04-0510_56_18.jpg.e1d0496bb61e74e3bf05c4704697611d.jpg

And I also got the rear shocks installed and custom length emergency brake cables installed:

2023-04-09-11_17.02---2.jpg.510e7ff4073ba83ba4b091f11ea086ab.jpg

There's just a few more odds and ends to wrap up before I can get it aligned and back on the road...

34 minutes ago, Pete M said:

sooooo clean! :drool:

where's your overload leaf?

I took it out.  I know there is a risk for axle wrap, but I’m targeting the lowest and softest SOA possible for the rear.  May swap it back in after some driving.

I can assure you that the overload doesn't restrict things.  :L:  but neither are they the perfect fix for axle wrap (my tired soft leafs were just not up to the task so I eventually replaced the whole packs)

103748808.jpg

32 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I can assure you that the overload doesn't restrict things.  :L:  but neither are they the perfect fix for axle wrap (my tired soft leafs were just not up to the task so I eventually replaced the whole packs)

Sorry, I guess I should say I wanted the lowest SOA possible—I know the overload leaf doesn’t impact flex much.  To achieve this I ended up making my own low profile spring perches and running XJ shackles.  The overload leaf would have added about 1/2” of height that I wanted to avoid.  I cleaned up the leaf springs, painted them individually, installed new rubber bushings and new spring pads (greased).  The Fox shocks are really stiff and look like they have raised the rear a bit themselves.  I’ll be doing some driving to see how things settle out.

• 5 months later...

I started a new job a few months back and have been super busy with that and ramping up BoxyJeep.com.  That being said, I've been accumulating parts for the next phase of the build and just got this in the mail.

380163209_2023-09-2810_25_37.jpg.c3eededad8a2d437ac1573aa0df4576e.jpg

Next phase of the build:

1. Swap the old AW4 for a new Novak AX15 with external slave
  2. Rebuild the NP231 and install 23-spline input shaft and SYE
  3. Swap out automatic pedals and shifter for manual parts
  4. Measure for rear CV driveshaft and get it ordered
  5. De-pin and minimize wiring harness to eliminate automatic TCU bits
  6. Install NOS Pacesetter CARB-legal header and verify manifold seal
  7. New power steering pump and Mushimoto cooling fans
  8. Get tires re-balanced and aligned (had minor death wobble when I last took it out)

IMG_2110.jpeg.e4a3541903fa9207c66cbcff75b4fc86.jpeg

1 hour ago, 89 MJ said:

Yes! Love to see its getting three pedals!

Thanks!  My first few XJ's were 5-speed back when I was in my late teens/early 20's and I really liked that, but it got tiring as a daily driver.  That being said, I don't drive my MJ too much so it'll be a nice change of pace to have something fun to drive when I take it out.  I'm still debating on whether or not I can get by with the 3.55 gears and 33's.  It's bearable currently with the stroker engine and automatic transmission.  If I did re-gear, I think I would only want to step up to 4.10's if it wasn't good with the standard transmission...

On 9/29/2023 at 11:41 AM, boxyjeep said:

Thanks!  It's been a long road (over 5 years), but it's finally getting close to final form :-)

I know the feeling. Ive had both of mine for a year and they both seem to just want repairs more than anything else.  All we can do is plug away