Remove & Reinstall Coil Spring Isolators

Hi All,

I'm having trouble removing the old coil spring isolator. There is a larger piece at the bottom with a flange that won't let the rubber pass through. I have the passenger removed since it crumbled in my hand, but the driver is still there. It just won't slide down at all. Tried WD-40.

It's also preventing install too. Can this piece be removed?

IMG_0948.jpeg

1 hour ago, watchamakalit said:

Never seen one welded. Siezed up good but not welded. Was it a year thing? Early model vs late?

Mine are that way. I think a lot changed in the 91+ mopar years. It’s in the instruction for the jks acos also where it refers to the two different styles. The rubber bump stops on my mj are actually pushed into the cup just like TJ bump stops (they’re in fact TJ bump stops). The original cups cannot be unscrewed on mine.

9 hours ago, watchamakalit said:

A little antisieze before reassembly will make it easier when you lift and need to space the bumpstop. 

Already got my 4.5" lift in progress over in the Member Projects section :L:

Was thinking of adding bump stops in the front to even out, but I plan on making a camper so the rear should weigh down nicely.

7 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Mine are that way. I think a lot changed in the 91+ mopar years. It’s in the instruction for the jks acos also where it refers to the two different styles. The rubber bump stops on my mj are actually pushed into the cup just like TJ bump stops (they’re in fact TJ bump stops). The original cups cannot be unscrewed on mine.

Do you still have that huge flange? There's just no way the isolator fits over it. Fortunately I have an '88 and sounds like I shouldn't have that problem. I'll be able to update within the next few hours as I begin to work on it again.

1 hour ago, PocketsEmptied said:

Already got my 4.5" lift in progress over in the Member Projects section :L:

Was thinking of adding bump stops in the front to even out, but I plan on making a camper so the rear should weigh down nicely.

Do you still have that huge flange? There's just no way the isolator fits over it. Fortunately I have an '88 and sounds like I shouldn't have that problem. I'll be able to update within the next few hours as I begin to work on it again.

Just realized that.  Been commenting on it but didn't make the connection. :roflmao::doh:

So after reading some XJ forums, these should be screw-in type. Maybe after 33 years they're just seized. I've doused in PB and I'll probably heat them up. I wish I had a better tool to grip them though. Pipe clamp is just sliding across and marring the metal as I pound it with a BFH.

16 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

That looks rust infused right there. It should definitely unscrew. Make it red hot and hope for the best. 

Did that right after I commented. They're free! Thanks for the help everyone. I didn't use too much heat since the rubber is in good condition and all the caked oil everywhere. But hit with some PB after and they broke free.

16 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

I wonder what years used the welded on ones. 

91/92 possibly.  I know a 92 XJ has them welded on.  Its also possible that accident repair may have put in a later style into an earlier year MJ or XJ for that matter.  The flange portion is not as big though, so its not hard to slip the isolator over the bumpstop cup.