Need some ball joint help

Maybe the gurus can lend a helping hand here as I'm at my wits end.  I'm working on replacing the joints both sides  and I am on ball joint set #3 now and still haven't found a replacement that works.  706944x does not fit and the other two napa and rock auto sets I got did not fit either.  The only numbers I could find on the current joints are Upper - DW057389533 and Lower - OEJN 040110.  Pics are attached.  Both sets of spicer joints I ordered have the smooth surface and not the grooved.  The napa set I got had the grooved surface but still didn't fit either.  I guess the spicer joints must be like .001" smaller than what is currently in there.  Any one got any part numbers or any idea why all these old joints are bigger than everything else thats listed for the D30?  Thanks for any help.

Edit:  I'm seeing the MOOG part numbers 3134 and 3137, just wondering if they are the same diameter as the spicer ones?  Anyone got any input?

PXL_20210717_222010327.jpg

PXL_20210717_222028653.jpg

2 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Need OEM part numbers? Usually that helps cross reference stuff. 

Yea that could help, thanks.  It looks like the PO put in knurled ball joints and the spicers are smooth which would explain the small difference in size.  It looks like the MOOG joints are knurled also.  I've heard of using a punch to stipple the hole in the Inner C and basically create a smaller hole but would obviously use that as a last resort.  

15 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Is your front D30 original or newer?

As far as I know its original, but I didnt get much info on the PO since I bought it from a guy who had it as a shop project. 

11 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

706944X is what I’ve always used. And that was after pressing out some Moog knurled ones. What exactly doesn’t fit?

The joints just drop right in to the hole without any resistance. Like they are about .001" too small.  I ordered some moog ones, gonna see if those fit, if not then back to the drawing board I guess.

18 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

83500202AB-So this is a kit for both upper and lower joints. No separate part numbers.

Awesome thanks if these moog joints don't work that will help. Adding info to the library anyway. 

3 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Sounds like maybe someone botched the ball joint install at some point in time on this axle and messed up the holes

Thats what I'm afraid of but we will see. If they are still too small I'm going to try stippling the inside of the holes with a punch. Basically another kind of knurling I guess. Would prefer not to replace the housing but there are plenty at the junk yard around here. 

4 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Sounds like maybe someone botched the ball joint install at some point in time on this axle and messed up the holes

That is exactly what happened on my old axle.   Of course, the person who trashed the ball joint bores also splayed one of the “C’s” that the knuckle attaches to, so it was new axle housing time anyhow😠

2 hours ago, PocketsEmptied said:

So do the MK3137T and MK3134T not work? I just ordered the MOOG replacements and they'll be here Friday for an install.

They fit just fine if your inner C was not damaged by a botched install from a previous owner/shop. I love Moog parts but on these axles you want the Dana/Spicer 706944X. They have consistently outlasted the moog/precision joints 2:1 with big tires and/or lots of wheeling 

Well they ended up working, they were a little larger diameter than the ones that came out but I still took a punch and made a couple passes through each hole.  They pressed in nice and tight after that and it finally steers like it should. I ended up using the 3134T for the upper and 3161T for the bottom.  Guess I should have just replaced the power steering hoses too when I put in the new gear and pump though because the pressure line somehow got a tiny pinhole in it :doh:  After that should be good to go!  Thanks again for all the replies.

26 minutes ago, jeepmjga said:

Well they ended up working, they were a little larger diameter than the ones that came out but I still took a punch and made a couple passes through each hole.  They pressed in nice and tight after that and it finally steers like it should. I ended up using the 3134T for the upper and 3161T for the bottom.  Guess I should have just replaced the power steering hoses too when I put in the new gear and pump though because the pressure line somehow got a tiny pinhole in it :doh:  After that should be good to go!  Thanks again for all the replies.

Awesome! Glad you got it fixed

19 hours ago, jeepmjga said:

Thanks for following up too!  We appreciate when folks come back and close the loop on an issue they had! :D

• 1 year later...

I have a similar problem with my ball joints, but mine are still intact and work great - just the passenger side top ball bearing is missing a grease fitting. I looked at the top of the ball joint and while there's a hole for a fitting, there were no signs of threads in fitting itself. There are slight signs of marks, not nothing substantial. There was no sheared or cut off fitting. The ball joint has not failed at all, I just like to grease ball joints and not rely on finger crossing.

I'm debating replacing the entire ball joint, but it would be a lot easier if I knew what size fitting the ball joints use.

Rock auto says the Moog K100056 is the correct ball joint. I called Moog and they said the fitting is likely a 1/4-28 zerk self tapping grease fitting

Does anyone else remember if the fitting they used on their ball joints was a zerk self tapping fitting?

I'm hoping the previous owner just forgot to install it. Thanks!

20230528_205958.jpg

16 hours ago, Salvagedcircuit said:

I have a similar problem with my ball joints, but mine are still intact and work great - just the passenger side top ball bearing is missing a grease fitting. I looked at the top of the ball joint and while there's a hole for a fitting, there were no signs of threads in fitting itself. There are slight signs of marks, not nothing substantial. There was no sheared or cut off fitting. The ball joint has not failed at all, I just like to grease ball joints and not rely on finger crossing.

I'm debating replacing the entire ball joint, but it would be a lot easier if I knew what size fitting the ball joints use.

Rock auto says the Moog K100056 is the correct ball joint. I called Moog and they said the fitting is likely a 1/4-28 zerk self tapping grease fitting

Does anyone else remember if the fitting they used on their ball joints was a zerk self tapping fitting?

I'm hoping the previous owner just forgot to install it. Thanks!

20230528_205958.jpg

The Moog's I installed had self-tapping zerk fittings.