Possible options in wheel diameter.........16"

I have a 1989 Comanche 4x4 with factory springs.  With no lift kits,etc. installed.   Wondered if anyone has tried to fit 16" wheels on their Comanche?  I was thinking of using a 16x7 inch wheel.  And using 235/85r16 tires, since I already have a good set.  I was told that the factory 15" wheels have a +32mm offset.  The offset might be the problem child.  I believe the 235/85r16 tires will clear under the fenders.  I have 235/75r15 tires on it now and have about 3" of tire clearance from tires to fenders.  The 235/85r16 tires will give me about 1.5" increase in ground clearance.   Any help in this matter will be appreciated.  Thanks...............

Yes you can run 16s on a comanche. Back spacing is important but generally most 5x4.5 16" wheels fit it. Wheel height on stock trucks should not exceed around 31" and even at that height you can run into issues with the tires rubbing on the LCAs. I run 30" tires on a 1.5" lift.

In general yes. The front is the biggest issue and to my knowledge the front springs only changed with engine type. There were several options for rear springs that had various small height differences. 

You can also run WJ LCAs to help clear a 31 if you really wanted to run that. If you were closer I have a set of TJ rubicons with 31s on them in 16" size that are for sale. 

20 hours ago, Wild Comanche said:

I have a 1989 Comanche 4x4 with factory springs.  With no lift kits,etc. installed.   Wondered if anyone has tried to fit 16" wheels on their Comanche?  I was thinking of using a 16x7 inch wheel.  And using 235/85r16 tires, since I already have a good set.  I was told that the factory 15" wheels have a +32mm offset.  The offset might be the problem child.  I believe the 235/85r16 tires will clear under the fenders.  I have 235/75r15 tires on it now and have about 3" of tire clearance from tires to fenders.  The 235/85r16 tires will give me about 1.5" increase in ground clearance.   Any help in this matter will be appreciated.  Thanks...............

I ran 245/75/16s on my '88 2WD with stock suspension for a while.  The MOAB wheels shown below are 16x8.   I liked the look and it ran fine on the road with no rubbing or clearance issues.   I don't take this one off road.   I later switched to 235/75/15 tires on Turbine wheels. 

19-04-15 4b (2).JPG

21 hours ago, Wild Comanche said:

I was told that the factory 15" wheels have a +32mm offset. 

Factory wheels came with 5.25" backspacing. That number is the number you need to be concerned with. 

A 235/85/16 tire has a diameter of 31.7" so yes, regardless, you are going to rub. Whether you stay with stock BS or move the wheel out. That is essentially a 32" tire. Even most 31x10.50s are sub 31" tall. 

Factory TJ Moabs are actually 16x8 with 5" backspacing.

They have less backspacing than most other TJ/XJ/MJ factory wheels which helps to mitigate interference with the control arms but you may still need to shim the steering stops depending on the tire width you choose to run.

I'm running this wheel with a 265 tire.  IMO, this is just about the limit on factory wheel and tire size if you want to keep your stance inside the stock fender flares.

Thanks for the input.  That is a nice looking Comanche, "PC06".  My 235/85r16 tires are Yokohama Super Digger V's.  It was discontinued quite a while ago.  A really great snow and off road tire.  Had them on my 1976 CJ-5.   I might be o.k. with a 215/85r16 tire as it is about 30.4 inches tall, w/o any lifting of the body.  Anyone tried a Kumho AT 51 tire?  Thanks.......................

On 7/17/2021 at 1:04 PM, Jeep Driver said:

Factory wheels came with 5.25" backspacing. That number is the number you need to be concerned with.

5.25" BS is equal to a +32mm offset on a 7" wheel. Offset is just the number normally used on the car side of things

9 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Liberty KJ rims are all 16 (or 17) and the same bolt pattern and backspacing as MJ rims. :L: 

I just had to look into this. So, I went on Car-Parts.com. I did a search on a 2002 KJ, and there were more than a few 16" rims, but no 17"s. Then I went to 2008 Libby. 17"s and even a few 18"s. Interesting. I don't know the back spacing, but I do use a 2007-2008 Nitro/Liberty front rotor on my WJ Big Brake conversion. Maybe a Slammed MJ with 18 inch low profiles.  

I'm not 100% on the specs of the 08+ KK Libertys.  :dunno: 

17s was a later year of KJ.  :L:  though it's not he best looking rim in the world IMO. 

I went with the TJ Rubicons for my Liberty :D

20210713_165411.jpg

45 minutes ago, Pete M said:

'07 model year would still be KJ.  I'd wager that started with the '08 KKs.  now ya got me thinking about if I can swap the second gen Liberty brakes onto my first gen :D 

Mine is that over 5 years ago, someone did a Mustang GT Rotor and Durango or Dakota calipers with the AMC Dana 30 spindles. I think he was looking for a better rotor. It might be on Cobra Marty's site. So, going from a 11.5 rotor to a 12 WJ then up to a 13 inch diameter rotor. Also, the 17" or 18" Rims from a Libby. It opens possibilities. Also, if it could be a bolt on. ??? Only down side for me, is I like my Cross Over steering with the WJ knuckles. 

• 2 weeks later...