30 X 9.5 tires Will they fit without rubbing??

Nope.

On stock rims, they'll be fine in the back but they'll rub the lower control arms in front on sharp turns.

Using rims with less backspacing to clear the LCAs will cause the tires to hit the flares when turning. I run 30x9.50s on stock rims, and I just accept the rubbing. It isn't a problem, but they do rub.

the 2wd sits lower than the 4x4 also...that would increase scrub

No, the rubbing is the inner sidewall of the tire scrubbing on the lower control arm. Ride height doesn't really affect it -- it happens at stock height, and if you're lifted.

With 30x9.50s it's not a big deal at all. The simple work-around is to shim the steering stops with one or two washers and forget it. I just learned to never turn the steering wheel to full lock -- which you shouldn't do anyway, because doing so stalls out the power steering pump and causes it to overheat.

...which you shouldn't do anyway, because doing so stalls out the power steering pump and causes it to overheat.

Huh?

If you hold the steering against the lock it causes the pump to build over 1000psi and creates a ton of heat at the same time which will overheat the fluid.

This is why I add a cooler to the power steering return line, rock crawling and general slow speed wheeling can overheat the fluid without a cooler. The cooler will also extend the life of the pump, steering gear, and hoses.

Not entirely true. Or apparently, from what I understand.

With the GM style P/S boxes, they reach a certain point (which is iffy) and they automatically bypass the fluid to prevent stress on steering components. That can become iffy once you mess with the steering geometry (pitman arm, knuckles, etc) and the box may or may not bypass. However, typically it works out close enough and doesn't matter.

And thus my hydro assist ram doesn't blow my knuckles off, despite it having 2" more travel than the rest of my steering.

And FWIW, overheating a pump in such a manner (if it didn't bypass) is highly unlikely to me. That's a lot of sitting at the steering locks. And it'll probably hit 1200psi peak for a stocker. Which for short periods on such a pump is nothing. Yes, slow speed yarding it back and forth for soem time will overheat it...

With the GM style P/S boxes, they reach a certain point (which is iffy) and they automatically bypass the fluid to prevent stress on steering components. That can become iffy once you mess with the steering geometry (pitman arm, knuckles, etc) and the box may or may not bypass. However, typically it works out close enough and doesn't matter.

And thus my hydro assist ram doesn't blow my knuckles off, despite it having 2" more travel than the rest of my steering.

And FWIW, overheating a pump in such a manner (if it didn't bypass) is highly unlikely to me. That's a lot of sitting at the steering locks. And it'll probably hit 1200psi peak for a stocker. Which for short periods on such a pump is nothing. Yes, slow speed yarding it back and forth for soem time will overheat it...

Take any stock XJ, MJ, or Jeep or GM vehicle. Turn the steering wheel all the way to lock and hold it. You'll hear a change in sound, which may manifest as a groaning noise or may sound more like a WHOOSH. That's the pump trying to push fluid that's not going anywhere. It WILL destroy the steering pump if you make a practice of it.

Take any stock XJ, MJ, or Jeep or GM vehicle. Turn the steering wheel all the way to lock and hold it. You'll hear a change in sound, which may manifest as a groaning noise or may sound more like a WHOOSH. That's the pump trying to push fluid that's not going anywhere. It WILL destroy the steering pump if you make a practice of it.

yeahthat.gif :agree: nutkick.gif