Leaf Springs

I want to do an 8.8 swap at some point in the future, and my springs are pretty rusty and 1 of them sags a little so I've been looking for new ones. General Spring has 2 options for us, 3/1 1280lb capacity, and 3/2 1700 lb capacity. Would the 1700lb one be what a 4x4 would have? I have a 1990 4x4 Eliminator, not sure which one would be right for me. I'm keeping it spring under and don't want to go above 3'' of lift.

You know, one of my springs is saggy as well and have been contemplating using some C/K truck springs I have to replace them. I heard they're about the same length, though I'm not sure about the position of the center bolt/pin. I will give this a shot since I welded some three-hole perches on the 8.8. If this works, this can be a very cheap alternative OP, unless you're set on new specific assemblies...mis dos centavos.

just a heads up that there is some... discrepancy... with new leafs by any manufacturer.  some guys have gained a bit, others have not.  in theory you shouldn't gain anything over stock (but probably a bit over current since 30 years of time will steal some height). 

The General Spring/SD truck springs 4 leaf pack lifted my rig 2.5” with no settling. The 5 leaf pack lifts a tiny bit more. Unfortunately, they don’t make a 2wd leaf spring equivalent with a stock or stockish arch. The springs fit fine but they are definitely not oem replicas. 

On 6/4/2021 at 3:54 PM, keeponjeepinon said:

Ok. So they'll both sit at the same height? Wasn't sure if the spring rates were different

The spring rates were different for the OEM standard and Metric Ton springs, but the ride height was the same.

Aftermarket springs are a crap shoot. They should sit at factory height, but many aftermarket "metric ton" springs sit a couple of inches too high. I don't remember if General's metric ton springs are among those with that problem.

17 hours ago, Eagle said:

Aftermarket springs are a crap shoot.

Yeah it seems like it's that way. I might just do the rear when I do the 8.8, then measure and make the front level, since I want to replace the front axle with a single piece d30 anyways. I'm not even sure when I'm going to do any of this, I just had to spend $2k on my TDI for a new clutch/dmf because the extra torque started making it chatter under WOT, right as I was buying the parts to do the timing belt.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 1:58 PM, ghetdjc320 said:

The specs on the general spring/SD truck springs have been well documented here. Many of us have run them so you won’t be buying blind. 

And if I recall correctly, General Springs replacement leafs all sit 2 or 3 inches higher than factory ride height, even though they are sold as OEM replacements.

31 minutes ago, Eagle said:

And if I recall correctly, General Springs replacement leafs all sit 2 or 3 inches higher than factory ride height, even though they are sold as OEM replacements.

Thats right. Those 4 leaf GS springs raised the truck 2.5" over stock