Harmonic Balancer Installation Tips [1989 Jeep Comanche 4.0 I6]

I'm trying to install the new harmonic balancer since the old one was flinging rubber and scratching my timing cover. Its a 1989 Jeep Comanche with the 4.0 Inline 6.

I managed to get the old one out with my handy dandy harbor freight wheel puller set. It had enough clearance that i didn't need to remove anything major like the radiator. 

Now I'm trying to install the new one. But it doesn't go onto the crankshaft far enough to thread the bolt like I've seen in some videos. I am reusing the old key. Its stuck on the shaft pretty good.

I used a set of calipers to make sure the hole diameter is the same. Any tips for getting the harmonic balancer installed? 

Also has anyone used the loaner installer from o'reilly's? Its pretty cheap to rent so I might be better off doing that.

This is the Harmonic Balancer I bought: https://www.napaonline.com/p/NDP6005229?vehicleAddPDP=true

The tool I have is identical to the one you can rent from the parts stores. Makes the job a lot easier and is safer for the crankshaft. A little bit of oil on the installer tool's threads will help too. Also, make sure the last guy to have it didn't mess it up. Make sure the threads aren't damaged.

17 minutes ago, Minuit said:

The tool I have is identical to the one you can rent from the parts stores. Makes the job a lot easier and is safer for the crankshaft. A little bit of oil on the installer tool's threads will help too. Also, make sure the last guy to have it didn't mess it up. Make sure the threads aren't damaged.

Awesome thanks. Ill check it out and make sure threads arent damaged before i rent it. 

When installing I just make sure to get it square on there. And some light love taps with a BFH and it goes in far enough to grab the threads. Make sure to grab enough threads...I've pulled some threads before doing it that way

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I have swapped out the bolt for a longer one and tightened it to drive the HB on to a point I can safely use the original bolt.  Can be tricky, just make very sure its engaged properly on the crank and it should go right on.