So uh, I got a 1988 Comanche

Hello all!

Its been two days since bringing home my comanche, might as well start posting about it! I picked up a 1988 Jeep comanche Pioneer, 4.0, Peugeot BA10/5 5-speed :(, 4x4. Truck originally came from Texas and was hauled up to Ohio by its previous owner, it has switch hands to me and still lives in Ohio. The previous owner also posted the vin number in the registry. Good news is that the cab corners and the rockers are rust free [at least on the outside] bad news is that the floor boards are rusty [what's new]  The boards are at least solid for the most part. The truck came with a bunch of extra interior parts that I'll be selling. 

IMG_4853.JPG

IMG_4854.JPG

IMG_4858.JPG

IMG_4859.JPG

IMG_4860.JPG

IMG_4866.JPG

Guy told me that someone lifted the front end 3" but not the back, ultimately I'd like to turn it into a long distance camping/trips/overlanding rig. Eventually 97 swap, either an AX-15 or NSG370, swap the dana 35. I have a Chrysler 8.25 but I might go dana hunting instead. She's got a ways to go but I have to start somewhere

End of the week update, I didn't really get time to work on the comanche throughout the week, I did get to fiddle with it today. I've currently got the steering column apart to check those reverse torx bit bolts that holds the steering column and wheel tight. I want to make sure mine are tight and I want to lock-tite them as well, I have to wait for some tools to show up Tuesday to finish the job.  

Did some glancing over the vacuum lines because the comanche's idle is constantly dipping up and down. it seems that a lot of the tubing is secured into their receptacles via electrical tape, just another thing to add to the list...oh and of course all the wiring looks like a rats nest with random plugs just flopping about

I also disconnected the firewall fuse box to try and start cleaning up the rust where fluid dripped through, I got a little bit done before I realized this might warrant taking the dash out :sad:, so I reconnected the firewall plug and snugged it down for a future day.

Finding more rust always puts a damper on the mood, but on the bright side I did score an AX-15 for 150 bucks! :banana: the tail housing will have to be re-clocked but no big deal. The 3 top things for me right now are get the floorboards fixed, get her steering straight, and swap that transmission in.

IMG_4876 (1).JPG

IMG_4877 (1).JPG

IMG_4878 (1).JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 12:07 PM, scottie005 said:

Well I’ve begun the process of swapping the transmissions, in that time frame I’ve also cut out and fitted the driver side floorboard, currently in the process of the passenger side!

BBA6496F-49F8-4467-B80E-11EAF2A2ECC8.jpeg

the peugeot is such a skinny little transmission. :( 

• 1 year later...

Hey uh, long time no see. I recently got a second wind to start chipping away at stuff. I just finished swapping in a correct crossmember for the AX-15. Got it off ebay, took it to work, sand blasted it and painted it. I've also started preping for floorboard work again [I'm dreading this process so much, but I need to conquer this hill] 

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_1158 (1).jpg

IMG_1156.jpg