What Brake Lines?

33 minutes ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

Get some tubing and fittings HERE.

Get a flare tool HERE.

Splurge on some gravel guard HERE

Wheel cylinders, copper crush washers for the fronts, soft lines at the front and rear, aftermarket prop valve, and delete the extra line to the rear wheels. Weekend project if you have all the tools and items together.

Good luck!

:yeahthat:

If smooth and consistent curves are very important to you, you may also want to pick up a tubing bender capable of doing 3/16 tubing, available in cheap and expensive flavors. The copper-nickel brake tubing is easy to bend by hand, but a tool helps a bit in making it look nice. Also, don't forget a tubing cutter, and here's a less expensive 3/16" only, double flaring tool.

3 hours ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

Get a flare tool HERE.

Wheel cylinders, copper crush washers for the fronts, soft lines at the front and rear, aftermarket prop valve, and delete the extra line to the rear wheels. Weekend project if you have all the tools and items together.

Good luck!

Do you have the Mastercool tool?  If so, how do you like it?  I've used the old school flaring tool, and the one Jeremy linked.  The Mastercool has been sitting in my cart in Amazon for a couple months, waiting to pull the trigger. 

CJ 86 D44 brake lines.jpeg

4 hours ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

Get a flare tool HERE.

Good luck!

That’s a great list. I picked up the SURR kit from summit which includes a nice variety of fittings and the line is made in the US and is some of quality stuff. 

I love the Mastercool. Worth every penny. It took me hours to flare a few lines on random repairs over the years. Lots of sweat and straining to get everything lined up and cranked down tight enough. They never came out that great.

I did ALL the brake lines in my comanche in an afternoon with the mastercool. Every single flare comes out perfect each time, can be done in strange locations, and requires almost no manual force. I encourage anyone looking at brake lines to buy it.

Other uses are making bumps on connectors for rubber lines to make clamping easier. Fuel lines. Etc.

TLDR -> Buy it.

1 minute ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

I love the Mastercool. Worth every penny. It took me hours to flare a few lines on random repairs over the years. Lots of sweat and straining to get everything lined up and cranked down tight enough. They never came out that great.

I did ALL the brake lines in my comanche in an afternoon with the mastercool. Every single flare comes out perfect each time, can be done in strange locations, and requires almost no manual force. I encourage anyone looking at brake lines to buy it.

Other uses are making bumps on connectors for rubber lines to make clamping easier. Fuel lines. Etc.

TLDR -> Buy it.

Will it also do 37* flares in larger tubing? Been looking at something that could flare stainless fuel lines to install AN fittings. 

10 hours ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

:hijack:

Sorry OP.

No worries, I actually started the thread to get a good discussion going on options and opinions. The tooling is an essential part of those, so this helps everyone. 

I ended up about $160 for lines/fittings/tools and a YJ proportioning valve. Still have to figure out calipers/rear brake cylinders/shoes and pads. I am going to go with longer aftermarket soft lines since I’ll be putting on the 4.5 lift in the next few weeks. 

Big thing is to get the new hard lines in place and proportioning valve for now.

16 hours ago, Minuit said:

While we're at it... anyone got any experience with A/C line crimping tools?

I’ve never had a set but a local shop had just bought a new setup that gave a kind of “hex” crimp. Not very nice crimp compared to the typical AC shop mandrel hydraulic crimpers. It does the trick and doesn’t leek but doesn’t look clean like a factory crimp.