What model Comanche do I have?

Hello, this is my first post and could use some help. I have a 1988 4wd shortbed 4.0 5spd, the rollbar looks factory (by the way it mounts) It has bucket seats, full console,pw,pl,tilt,a/c, seems pretty loaded with options. I pulled off the armrest on the door and it says Pioneer/Chief for the panel trim. I am just curious which it could be? The truck is originally black but has been repainted so any original stripes are gone. I have owned the truck for a year now and LOVE it. I have owned 15+ Jeeps in my life and this is my 1st MJ. Any assistance or feedback would be great! Thanks!! Oh by the way, the front and rear diff has 3.73 gears, Factory?

Eric

Hello, this is my first post and could use some help. I have a 1988 4wd shortbed 4.0 5spd, the rollbar looks factory (by the way it mounts) It has bucket seats, full console,pw,pl,tilt,a/c, seems pretty loaded with options. I pulled off the armrest on the door and it says Pioneer/Chief for the panel trim. I am just curious which it could be? The truck is originally black but has been repainted so any original stripes are gone. I have owned the truck for a year now and LOVE it. I have owned 15+ Jeeps in my life and this is my 1st MJ. Any assistance or feedback would be great! Thanks!!

Welcome aboard! Request your free build sheet here:

http://tinyurl.com/rtsm

Fill out the info requested and DC will send you all they have.

Hello, this is my first post and could use some help. I have a 1988 4wd shortbed 4.0 5spd, the rollbar looks factory (by the way it mounts) It has bucket seats, full console,pw,pl,tilt,a/c, seems pretty loaded with options. I pulled off the armrest on the door and it says Pioneer/Chief for the panel trim. I am just curious which it could be? The truck is originally black but has been repainted so any original stripes are gone. I have owned the truck for a year now and LOVE it. I have owned 15+ Jeeps in my life and this is my 1st MJ. Any assistance or feedback would be great! Thanks!!

Welcome aboard! Request your free build sheet here:

http://tinyurl.com/rtsm

Fill out the info requested and DC will send you all they have.

oooh clever

Your 8th diget in the Vin will tell you what package you have -

For a swb -

1= Base (sportruck)

P= Pioneer

S= Chief

T= Laredo

And you could have like my one '88 that is a Pioneer with custom options add from the buyer.

But with the buckets and full counsel, it almost sounds like a Elimator??

Regardless, you still have a fine looking MJ :D

pretty sure the buckets have been swapped in, don't know that they were available for anything but elminator and in 88 those were only 2wd

but cherokee buckets are hardcore comfortable jamminz.gif

welcome to the club! nice truck, what all jeeps have you owned?

In 88 only the Eliminators came stock with the buckets, center counsel, tilt steering wheel, and all the goodies, but they were ONLY 2wd. Sounds like to me they were all swapped in though because it has power windows and locks and is 4wd. Good find and looking truck no matter what though.

Alex

I don't believe that for one bit.

you could order a base model comanche and tailor it to your needs. you can also swap a comanche to 4wd.

I think it's one of those scenarios. it's definitely not a normal trim level or package, so it's something custom. and I doubt someone would take the time to do those things to it and then not tell the new owner/sell it to someone who's new to comanches.

I know that I wouldn't sell the 3800 to anyone who's new to comanches. I'd sell it to someone on here though if I had to, and then I'd be up front about the fact that it's 2wd from factory, didn't have buckets, has had an interior/OHC swap, custom motor and wiring harness, yadayadayada.

I will do the build sheet route today and get to the bottom of this, I had no idea that this is not cut and dry package for the Jeep. In the past I have owned:

4 Xj's (1 current mysterious hole in block)

4 Cj7's (1 current restoring 76 Renegade Levis)

3 Yj's

1 Cj5

1 Lj (Tj unlimited)

1 Wj (current/wifes)

1 Mj (current/my driver)

Thanks again for the info and the nice welcome!

I have an '87 Pioneer and an '88 Chief. Both came with a fabric bench seat and no console. The Pioneer has the full gauge cluster WITH tachometer. The Chief has gauges, but it has the huge gas gauge where the tachometer should go.

This truck sounds like it's a Laredo, or has been modified by a previous owner. Those wheels aren't MJ rims, either. Are those what were on it when you bought it?

3.73 gears were NOT factory with the 4.0L. Factory would have been 3.07 with a 5-speed or 3.55 with an automatic.

I have an '87 Pioneer and an '88 Chief. Both came with a fabric bench seat and no console. The Pioneer has the full gauge cluster WITH tachometer. The Chief has gauges, but it has the huge gas gauge where the tachometer should go.

This truck sounds like it's a Laredo, or has been modified by a previous owner. Those wheels aren't MJ rims, either. Are those what were on it when you bought it?

3.73 gears were NOT factory with the 4.0L. Factory would have been 3.07 with a 5-speed or 3.55 with an automatic.

yeah, the 3.73s are not factory.

Ok, again thanks for the wealth of info all you have. So I did the Chrysler route and waiting to hear back. I also went to CARFAX and to my suprise :eek: JeepcoMJ is right on the nose! It came back as a Eliminator! So someone took the time and did it right because I couldn't tell. Shame someone took a desiresble truck to convert it to 4wd. I will post again if the Chrysler info changes. Thanks again!!!!!!!

Ok, again thanks for the wealth of info all you have. So I did the Chrysler route and waiting to hear back. I also went to CARFAX and to my suprise :eek: JeepcoMJ is right on the nose! It came back as a Eliminator! So someone took the time and did it right because I couldn't tell. Shame someone took a desiresble truck to convert it to 4wd. I will post again if the Chrysler info changes. Thanks again!!!!!!!

What's wrong with doing a good 4WD conversion? The 2WD Eliminator was so popular that they sold almost none of them the first year they were available. They offered it in 4WD after the first year, and most Eliminators sold were 4WD. If it was converted, and done well, they just saved you the trouble.