In need of rims for '86; 8 spoke, triangular

MarianneM

Hi Everyone, I am need of rims for our 86 Comanche but finding all the wrong ones online. The ones we have are 8 spoke, but triangular not rectangular, with 5 lug nut openings interspaced with 5 smaller holes for the center cap. We are finding 8 spoke rectangular or 8 spoke triangular without the smaller openings to fit the center cap. Thought these were original but the difficulty in finding the rims is making me wonder why we can't find them. The existing rims have holes which we have not had success in welding. Can anyone shed light on this and/or recommend a place to find these? Thanks so much in advance for your time and help.

Marianne

1 minute ago, MarianneM said:

Hi Everyone, I am need of rims for our 86 Comanche but finding all the wrong ones online. The ones we have are 8 spoke, but triangular not rectangular, with 5 lug nut openings interspaced with 5 smaller holes for the center cap. We are finding 8 spoke rectangular or 8 spoke triangular without the smaller openings to fit the center cap. Thought these were original but the difficulty in finding the rims is making me wonder why we can't find them. The existing rims have holes which we have not had success in welding. Can anyone shed light on this and/or recommend a place to find these? Thanks so much in advance for your time and help.

Marianne

can you share a pic of what you have?

car-part.com has a feature that lets you search for wheels by photos.

after 9 more posts the CC classifieds will open up to you :L: 

I'm sure those used to be common. I would guess if we knew where you are, there is probably a member that could help you out. I have a set of the stock aluminum 5 Star wheels that I will eventually sell, but aren't actively on the market. Are you specifically looking for that original equipment wheel?

jdog, thank you but those are different (not 8 spoke).

BeatCJ, I am in New York. We are working with the original rims but there are some holes that came up during powder-coating that welding could not repair. We are looking for the original equipment wheel.

9 hours ago, MarianneM said:

jdog, thank you but those are different (not 8 spoke).

BeatCJ, I am in New York. We are working with the original rims but there are some holes that came up during powder-coating that welding could not repair. We are looking for the original equipment wheel.

I have the original set off my 86 with all the center caps if you want them, I'm at 35613.

Thank you Zomeizter (forgive me for not knowing how to reply directly). That could work - just a matter of shipping. We sent the rims back for powder coating (after unsuccessful welding) but I hope to take a picture once we have them again. Are yours 6 or 8 spoke? Thanks!

if you type an @ then immediately start typing the name, it'll look like this:  @MarianneM  and send a notice to them that you replied. :L: 

to send a private message, I think you tap on the name, then hit on "message" in the pop up menu. 

9 hours ago, MarianneM said:

Thank you Zomeizter (forgive me for not knowing how to reply directly). That could work - just a matter of shipping. We sent the rims back for powder coating (after unsuccessful welding) but I hope to take a picture once we have them again. Are yours 6 or 8 spoke? Thanks!

They are 8 spoke, I will take a picture later on for ya...

Don't know if I have any loose, but I checked the '86 out back. It has four of the 8-spoke wheels, and the spare might be the same (I didn't open the hatch to check). Can't do it right now but one the snow melts and the ground firms up I can take them off and put on something else to hold the vehicle up. I'm near New Haven, and about 20 or 30 minutes up Route 8 from the Bridgeport-Port Jefferson ferry (if that's still running). If you can wait until Spring, I'm sure we can work something out if you're interested.

I found a fifth, already off the vehicle.

The snow is mostly gone here but we expect rain this week so it's going to be awhile until the ground becomes dry and hard enough to use a jack out there -- it's not on a driveway. Check in with me in a month -- I get pretty scattered, so I'll most likely forget.

@zomeizter Wish we were closer. Interested in the rims and caps, but concerned over pits/holes and/or rust. We didn't even know about ours until getting the tires mounted. If you can look over them carefully and send pics, we'd be interested in pricing them out with you (if also you don't mind shipping them).