Tailgate Straightening

4 hours ago, AZJeff said:

I am curious has to how you separated the sheets so cleanly.   Were they spot welded, or bonded via adhesive around the perimeter?

There are about 20 spot welds on the upper inner seam and another 3 obvious spot welds on the lower pinch seam. I used a cut off wheel to remove the upper seam spot welds and a nice drill bit to cut out the spot welds on the pinch seam. Nothing on the sides and there isn’t really any adhesive. Just some seam sealer that prevents the panels from rattling

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, A-man930 said:

I might give this a whirl.  Do you have any more pictures of the "top-inside" of it?  Mine looks like the metal is actually tearing apart; I'll upload a picture when I get home.  

Are you referring to the seam along the top inside?

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2021 at 12:53 AM, ghetdjc320 said:

Well that took about 5 hours total but the inside shell is straight as an arrow. Very pleased with the results and I know now there won’t be any more rust inside for the foreseeable future. I also stitch welded the ends of the panels for a sturdier unit. Granted, I’m not going to get it apart again anytime soon. The inner shell is ready for finish prep and the outer shell will get a good bit of body work. I discovered several dent about 1/2” deep that I worked out with the hammer and dolly. They were filled with body filler so I’ll have to sand that all out and give it a good refinishing. Feels good to do this kind of work yourself . Body shops never take the time... 

Onto the bedliner and refinishing the passenger bedside panel. 

9CC821F1-5CBE-4F4A-8DA5-7C942D3E7DA9.jpeg

1661D276-10BD-488B-9D57-2BD5FB674439.jpeg

I'm speechless.  I've never actually seen a MJ tailgate that straight...ever.  

Does anyone know of any gate protector products we could start using to prevent bowing? I am in the process of straightening mine out and once it is straight I want to use it but I also don't want to bow it again...

13 minutes ago, Torq_Shep said:

Does anyone know of any gate protector products we could start using to prevent bowing? I am in the process of straightening mine out and once it is straight I want to use it but I also don't want to bow it again...

As far as I know there isnt.. if you go this method you could use some thick metal as a brace/reinforcement on the inside 

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
On 6/26/2021 at 2:24 AM, Torq_Shep said:

I built a frame inside my tailgate. It’s in my tomahawk build in epic tech