Tailgate Straightening

I’ve been looking seriously at opening up my tailgate so I can straighten it. In the past I e seen people try to stud weld and pull out and defects but that’s a no go for my tailgate. There are a few spot welds that would need to come out but other than that it doesn’t look too bad to separate the panels at the seams. Any thoughts. 

5 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

I thought about this. I would like to do this to my original tail gate. What I’ve noticed is the entire thing is practically pinched together and I didn’t find many signs of welds. 

I’ll take some pics of mine. I’m 50/50 on trying it but since I was doing some work on fit anyways it’s probably not a bad idea

It couldn’t hurt. Probably take hell of a lot of patience. And if you do this, please do a write up on it as that metal on both sides is a bit tough for stud weld and slide hammer. Course getting any dings out of the top is easy with the handle removed, heat and a long piece of rebar

47 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

It couldn’t hurt. Probably take hell of a lot of patience. And if you do this, please do a write up on it as that metal on both sides is a bit tough for stud weld and slide hammer. Course getting any dings out of the top is easy with the handle removed, heat and a long piece of rebar

Yep I’ll take plenty of pics. I have found (2) spot welds on the upper inner corners and about 6 spot weld on the bottom inner. Haven’t found any on the sides yet. I could always cut at the lip but I’m going to try to drill out those welds first. 

1 hour ago, 89 MJ said:

The metal is stretched and it now. I don’t think that you would ever be happy with it if you did. I know you are on Guam, but I think your best bet would be finding a good original one. 

Well, I’m no blacksmith but I know I can get it better than it is by a long shot. The metal hasn’t been heater so any stretch is marginal. It mostly just bends and dings. And only on the inside of the gate. I’d probably trade for some nice parts or pay if they’d be willing to let a NOS tailgate go. Shipping it here would be relatively easy. 

I have heard stories of body men who use head and quickly cooling the heated metal to shrink/straighten dents that are not full creases.  This would save having to separate the panels.

it’s most often employed on classic prewar autos where replacement sheet metal is non-existent.

I don’t know what the odds are of finding a guy in Guam who is willing to try this, but do some YouTube searches to study the technique.

52 minutes ago, AZJeff said:

I have heard stories of body men who use head and quickly cooling the heated metal to shrink/straighten dents that are not full creases.  This would save having to separate the panels.

it’s most often employed on classic prewar autos where replacement sheet metal is non-existent.

I don’t know what the odds are of finding a guy in Guam who is willing to try this, but do some YouTube searches to study the technique.

I’m going to give it a go by separating the shells. I may use heat to tweak the metal a bit later but I prefer to do as much cold work as possible. Trying to keep away from welding more than just a few spot welds also

Straightened them using hammers, heavy chisels, patience and a parking lot. Just too loud to be hammering sheet metal next to the house. Really happy with the way it came out. Just cleaned the insides of the shells. Will clean up the flanges for welding with a flap disk and will also coat the insides with cold galvanizing compound. That stuffs is a zinc coating that is great for touching up galvanized parts.

899D0AB7-5B3D-445A-9F98-AA47CC7344F8.jpeg

CDC07334-F02E-4A0C-8116-B0AC6FD5EA50.jpeg

Well that took about 5 hours total but the inside shell is straight as an arrow. Very pleased with the results and I know now there won’t be any more rust inside for the foreseeable future. I also stitch welded the ends of the panels for a sturdier unit. Granted, I’m not going to get it apart again anytime soon. The inner shell is ready for finish prep and the outer shell will get a good bit of body work. I discovered several dent about 1/2” deep that I worked out with the hammer and dolly. They were filled with body filler so I’ll have to sand that all out and give it a good refinishing. Feels good to do this kind of work yourself . Body shops never take the time... 

Onto the bedliner and refinishing the passenger bedside panel. 

9CC821F1-5CBE-4F4A-8DA5-7C942D3E7DA9.jpeg

1661D276-10BD-488B-9D57-2BD5FB674439.jpeg

Forgot to mention, I used ultra black rtv on all the points where the to inner panels touch. Since factory rah used some sealer/glue there, I assuming it’s probably for rattles. I’m also going to seam seal that upper lip joint that is stitch welded. 

• ghetdjc320 changed the title to Tailgate Straightening
3 hours ago, Pete M said:

I do not!  (not yet at least :laugh: )

I would love it if you could do a writeup for the DIY.  hopefully it would inspire others to not give up on their current 'gate.  :L: 

Ok I’ll give it a go in a week or so. Just did about 90% of the body work on it today. Lots of unnecessary filler over the years. I don’t know what this black crap is on the inside of the bed and tailgate. Looks like it was brushed on and is the same stuff that was on the outside when I bought the truck. I’m thinking it may be por15 or similar. It sticks increasingly well and stripped will not bubble it up. On the body, I blasted it all off with soda.