rear end

IIRC, There is a 60" 5 lug D60 out there. I think its was form a J truck...cannot remember for sure. But I have had my hands on it some years back..... I'll have to see if I can locate pics and specs.

CW

J trucks were all 6-lug or 8-lug, were they not? Even my '79 full-size Cherokee was 6-lug.

I just checked in the Differentials book and it only list 67-72 muscle cars as a source close to stock width.

IIRC Ford had some five lug semi float axles out there in the late 60's early 70's..

Tracker pointed out a good option, having it narrowed, but it isn't as easy as cutting and welding... at least not to do it properly.

My 72 Jeep J2000 had the 5lug dana 60. It's marked 60-2 on the top of the diff it's not the same width at the comanche and the pumpkin has a bit to much of an off set to the right. Wouldn't be an option for ya.

The closest your going to get to stock is 63 WMS to WMS and I believe that would be found in a dodge 1 ton van

why do you want to run a D60?

question would be why not.. stonger :brows: more gear choices :nuts: full floating axle :hmm: or thats what he wants :D

actually not all 60 are full floating.the Mopar axle that keeps coming up was a semi floater.the 5 lug dana 60 in the J truck was a semi floater and only had 19 splines on the axle shaft which is pretty much useless for strength.

the only options you have is either cutting one down or using a larger offset on the rims to help bring the tires back in.

why do you want to run a D60?

question would be why not.. stonger :brows: more gear choices :nuts: full floating axle :hmm: or thats what he wants :D

actually not all 60 are full floating.the Mopar axle that keeps coming up was a semi floater.the 5 lug dana 60 in the J truck was a semi floater and only had 19 splines on the axle shaft which is pretty much useless for strength.

the only options you have is either cutting one down or using a larger offset on the rims to help bring the tires back in.

While you are corrrect some are semi floaters.

Useless for stregnth...not so. Not as strong as a 30 spline, yes, but its still got beef in the housing as well as larger axle shafts a large ring gear and good sized bearings.

Spline count is important because it afords a greater contact surface area, But don't forget, a larger surface area is also gained by larger diameter shaft. :D

CW

I don't think the 19-spline shafts are very big... Also, the 30 spline ones are only D44 sized. Whoopy. An axle that weighs twice what a D44 does and is only as strong.

Sure, you can fix that... Most of the full-float ones are reasonably easily upgraded by use of D70 shafts and boring out the spindles. Which is actually quite the PITA unless you're willing to pay a machine shop to chuck the housing on a lathe. There's semi-float ones with 35 splines from the factory I think, out of chevy vans. Lots of guys run them as they're a lighter and less complicated than a full floater, and avaliable.

Narrowing a rear housing is a little more complicated, but as long as you have an alignment bar you can do a full-floater easily enough.

If you want a 62"-63" wide axle that is strong buy a 14 bolt cab and chassis axle. It's a full floater that is about the same D70 strength wise.

Grind the lip off the bottom and do a rear disc swap. You'll never need to worry about axle strength again unless you go bigger then 44" tires and 500hp.

a D44 is plenty reasonable for a MJ w/4.0. your almost guaranteed not to break them. i did burnouts with my 35/16 boggers and a 5.7 and thay are fine

Just wedge a tire with a locker and they break pretty easy. Burnouts are no where near as hard on axles as rock crawling is.... I have seen two break with 33" tires when rock crawling.

I have some pretty amazing crap happen with shock loading and heavy right foot action. Anything can break and does.. it is all matter of if you know how to fix it.. and how long you hold your buddies up.

Just remember there is always a weak link in your driveline... 35's on a d44 doing burnouts sounds like a reciepe for broken u-joints or twisted drive shafts :brows: Or even worse.. broken wheel studs :eek: