SOA'd the MJ Saturday

I don't know....but I'll find out next month when I take it in for inspection :D

I was gonna keep it "full length" until after I got the new sticker on it, but the tailpipe just kept getting in the way when we were doing the SOA. After a few Bud Lights, the sawzall came out, and it was gone image_209027.gif I put a turndown tip on it....at least

Yeah, maybe it will fly since everything under Jeff's rig looks so clean and there are no obvious holes in the floor to gas folks out in the cab. I was nailed on an XJ, so maybe the single seat MJ will be okay. Hope so! :eek: Depends on the hangover condition of the inspector I suppose............

I love safety inspections.....since I do all the maintenece on all the vehicles in the fleet, I know what's what. I like to take the afternoon and stand on the shop floor while the tech does his thing.

I learned the hard way when the wife and I first moved down here..I dropped the MJ off at a local station and said "put a sticker on it". We were going out for the day (it was a Saturday) and I figured all was well. Got back into town late in the afternoon and it had a sticker on it. I went to pay up and they said it needed back brake shoes. No problem, I said, how much do I owe ya?

$173 :headpop: 40 in parts (new shoes, plus they took the liberty of installing all new hardware 'cause they said it was all "rusty"), and 133 in friggin' labor. Shame on me once....never again.

Jeff

Aye. I see nothing's changed in the good ol' Commonwealth. When I lived there I worked for the Sun Oil Co. in Richmond for awhile (before Sunoco pulled out of the state), and ran around VA servicing the Sunoco stations' gas pumps, lifts, compressors, electrical, etc. etc. in their retail outlets. Every owner/operator in the Commonwealth LOVED the inspection program as they made 50% of their non-gasoline income via the "inspections". Gotta love it. Good old 'Bama has no vehicle inspections of any kind. You should see some of the junk running around here..............

:chillin:

I'd already installed new leafpacks about 6 months ago, with all new bushings and antiseize on all the bolts. Plus, new ubolts when I swapped the axle in a month ago. So I didn't have to fight all that mess.....

He forgot that he had help too :cheers:

Most places find "something" wrong. I have been known to leave a blinker bulb loose.. so they can make their quick 15 and I can get out of there :eek: I did find one honest inspection station, and I have been going there for about 10yrs now with all my vehicles. They are offroader friendly, and Have common sense when it comes to the small stuff.

Pong actually passed inspection with no doors :eek: but I did point out to the inspector.. that all it did say was I needed 2 mirrors :nuts:

Pong actually passed inspection with no doors :eek: but I did point out to the inspector.. that all it did say was I needed 2 mirrors :nuts:

Are your guys' laws that much stricter than everyone else's or do you guys just get inspected alot?

In OR, it's the same way. 2 mirrors and I think one has to be the rearview on the windshield, but as long as no one knows, it doesn't even matter.

It was fun getting pulled over without doors. Awkward fun.

You guys should try Massachusetts for inspections...

"Formula for allowable height increase - maximum allowable increase to include larger tires Maximum Lift = (Wheelbase x Wheel Track) divided by 2200. (For example, formula may allow 2 inch lift and a 2 inch increase in tire, equaling a total lift of 4 inches over stock.)"

Thats for the lift law. Fun, eh? :roll:

NO we have to have an annual safety inspection, and they put a sticker in your windshield. Of course any police officer can pull you over for an infraction of the safety inspection he views (burned out light/cracked windshield). Of course the chances of you getting pulled over increases at night(higher chance you had a drink). Most of the time you get a warning, unless you get a smart a$$ attitude with them

i'm hijacking this thread from the other hijackers to ask how the rear taco shocks are doing. i just finished the soa on my manche tonight, and didn't bother putting the shocks back on the rear cuz they're just too damn long. (1/2" of uptravel just doesn't cut it) have you flexed it out? is 18" extended long enough? seems like 11" compressed would be perfect, as i have 14" bolt to bolt at ride height and around 3ish" to the bumpstop.

gonna go to napa tomorrow...

• 3 weeks later...

Bacon....I'm really sorry....I just saw your post! (dunno what happened to the "notify me when a reply is posted" feature). I haven't had a chance to flex it out yet, but they are working fine on the road. I would have like longer extension, but that was the cheapest stock solution shock we could come up with at the moment.

But.....Santa Claus paid me a visit yesterday after stopping off at Rubicon Express. He brought me a set of adjustable UCA's, and a set of shock mounts :D Hopefully I'll be able to get the UCA's in this weekend or next, along with a set of 5.5 TJ coils in the front and get my caster and pinion angle back and get the front DS back in. Once that's all set up, I'm gonna get the shock mounts on the tubes and pull those Taco shocks off. I've got a set of Rancho 5000's waiting to go on the rear once I set the lower mounts. I have a set of 9000's for the front, but they're too short :(

Jeff

Image Not Found

seems like 11" compressed would be perfect, as i have 14" bolt to bolt at ride height and around 3ish" to the bumpstop.

Keep in mind, bumpstops compress, usually more than people realize. Make sure they are what's bottoming out and not your shock, cause a bent shaft on a new shock sucks.

seems like 11" compressed would be perfect, as i have 14" bolt to bolt at ride height and around 3ish" to the bumpstop.

Keep in mind, bumpstops compress, usually more than people realize. Make sure they are what's bottoming out and not your shock, cause a bent shaft on a new shock sucks.

good call. luckily i bought the cheapest shocks i could find at napa that were the length i needed. if i break one, i'm out 20 bucks, and it'll be the perfect excuse to fix my shock issue permanently.

i flexed mine out a little bit yesterday on a couple snowbanks in the yard, i've already found my rear shocks are too short. i have no droop to the rear at all it seems. will have to come up with a better solution after christmas

yeah, I think the Monroe's I got were like $19/ea. Like I said, they're just temporary so I can drive it (I tried with no shocks one day......NOT a fun experience!). I've got the RE mounts now, just have to get them on.

Jeff

Bacon....I'm really sorry....I just saw your post! (dunno what happened to the "notify me when a reply is posted" feature). I haven't had a chance to flex it out yet, but they are working fine on the road. I would have like longer extension, but that was the cheapest stock solution shock we could come up with at the moment.

But.....Santa Claus paid me a visit yesterday after stopping off at Rubicon Express. He brought me a set of adjustable UCA's, and a set of shock mounts :D Hopefully I'll be able to get the UCA's in this weekend or next, along with a set of 5.5 TJ coils in the front and get my caster and pinion angle back and get the front DS back in. Once that's all set up, I'm gonna get the shock mounts on the tubes and pull those Taco shocks off. I've got a set of Rancho 5000's waiting to go on the rear once I set the lower mounts. I have a set of 9000's for the front, but they're too short :(

Jeff

Image Not Found

Jeff-man;

Noticing lately you're slipping away from the "built mostly from the junkyard" predisposition. :D Are your yards drying up?? :cheers:

you guys are funnay.... ;)

I'm only buying stuff that doesn't show up in the 'yard. Plus, a guy on a local board down here has a small aftermarket parts businiess (www.ace4wd.com) that I'm helping support. I like to spend my money, when I have to, either buying someone's used stuff or keeping my business local. I'm funny like that...... :cheers:

Jeff