SOA'd the MJ Saturday

Spent Saturday down at Pat’s house springing over the MJ and drinking beer :D We bumped it up on his trailer and did the rear first. I opted to leave the e-brake cables and brake line connected and just remove the leaves…..I’m sick of bleeding brakes (see my other thread about the XJ booster install last weekend). Got the rear done in about a half hour:

A shot of Pat’s better side LOL

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Then we moved on to the front. Pat’s knowledge and trailer straps made the job go pretty smooth. Kept the wheels on to replace the LCA’s (1” longer than stock), which centered the wheels in the wheelwells perfectly:

Image Not Found

Passenger side, with new LCA:

Image Not Found

Driver side, with stock LCA:

Image Not Found

I spun the ACOS down as far as they would adjust, (still have about a 1” rake which I wanted), and reseated the springs:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Then we installed the RE adjustable trackbar and bracket, after the ride height was set:

Image Not Found

I had already installed longer front shocks which I “thought” would be long enough, but they weren’t. Pat dug thru his parts pile and found a set that would fit to get me home :cheers:

Image Not Found

Couple shots of Pat’s XJ museum. I purposely didn’t take a pic of Pong…..it doesn’t need to be seen in the shape it’s currently in (under construction):D

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I still have lots of little bugs to work out, mainly in the front end. I NEED longer UCA’s……caster right now is about 10 degrees :oops: and I actually had to stop halfway home and pull the front driveshaft because of the funky pinion angle. Once I get the UCA’s in and caster/pinion angle back, I need a set of disco’s or at least extended sway bar links (my sway bar is verrrry unhappy with me right now). Also need front shocks, and have to figure out what to do for rear shocks. We tried reusing the MJ spring plates on top of the packs, but that puts the lower mount too close to the upper, about 14”. I put my stock shocks back on just to get home, but they bottomed out on just about every bump I hit. I took them back out and ran around yesterday with no shocks…..very interesting experience to say the least. I’ve got a local shop ordering me in a set of shorties (11”/17”, for an Exploder I think) today just to get around, but ultimately I’m going to have to get the lower mounts back on the tube and get some longer shocks. Also, the Dakota rear line is too short at full flex, so I either have to replace that with something longer or extend the hard line down off the frame some. And the YJ front lines are just barely long enough...I'm going to drop the hard lines a bit on the framerails or add some extensions.

All things considered, I’m very happy with the results so far. Either 33” MT’s or 34X9.5’s are in the near future.

Jeff

I'm attempting the same set up this weekend, i just ordered the ACOS this morning. i currently have a 3" lift so i think ill need to remove the aal. i also ordered the rocky road SOA bolt on. still trying to figure out where to get my LCA's I wish i knew some jeepaholics around here. You truck looks nice man!! did you use any shims?

Thanks!

We welded the new perches parallel with the old ones (the stock SUA ones are still on the tubes) to keep the same stock pinion angle which is about 7 degrees. Didn't install any shims, and there's only a tiny vibe between 38-42 mph. But, I think that is being caused by the rear UJ which I didn't change out. Put a new one on the front because I swapped in a YJ yoke, but was too lazy to replace the rear one. I'm gonna swap it out later this week and see what happens.

Even if it's not the UJ, the vibe is so minor that I don't think I'm going to worry about it right now.

On the AAL, you're gonna be hella high if you leave it in I would think. The SOA netted a good 5" in the rear, and I have those ACOS spun down as far as they will go and the front is still about 1" lower. Those are V8 ZJ coils in the front, which got me a good 2" of lift just by themselves (mine's a 2.5L), but they are really compressed now as they sit. Crazy amount of extension yes, but I think I'll end up redoing the front with taller springs. I've got a set of 5.5" TJ coils at my disposal...I think those along with the ACOS collapsed will do the trick. But for now, it's all functional.

Jeff

Yeah Jeff and I welded the perches on about a month or two ago.. and like he said we just set the parallel with the stock perches.

I personally think if he goes any higher he needs long arms or a set of drop brackets.

Jeff still needs to figure out how he wants his shocks mounted... and whenever he gets back out this way we can figure out how he wants it.

As for finding other jeep junkies.. try finding a local club.. most jeepers will help anothe jeeper out

Well, I didn't measure before and after, but I do know that with 31's on it, the rear flares are 37" from the ground (fronts are 36"). From the rear, if I lean on the tailgate, the top of it is armpit height on me, and I'm 5'8". I'd say altogether the SOA netted about 5.75 to 6" of total lift 8)

As far as time goes, it only took about a half a day (and an 18 pak of Bud Light), but I've been planning this build for a good while now, and had most everything in hand, parts-wise, before we started. Even with all the pre-planning, I've still got a few issues to deal with post lift.

Well, for now, those lowers will suffice. I need to get longer uppers to correct the pinion and the caster (and be able to put my front driveshaft back in :oops: )

Pat has this strong urge to help me go to longarms.......we'll see :D

Jeff

On the AAL, you're gonna be hella high if you leave it in I would think. The SOA netted a good 5" in the rear, and I have those ACOS spun down as far as they will go and the front is still about 1" lower. Those are V8 ZJ coils in the front, which got me a good 2" of lift just by themselves (mine's a 2.5L), but they are really compressed now as they sit. Crazy amount of extension yes, but I think I'll end up redoing the front with taller springs. I've got a set of 5.5" TJ coils at my disposal...I think those along with the ACOS collapsed will do the trick. But for now, it's all functional.

That's almost 5" over mine Jeff. But I expect the rear will settle a bit over time. And I like the rear up about an inch higher than the front as they came from the factory stock.

For search purposes:

Static distance from upper/lower shock mounts reusing the stock MJ spring plates on my rig is 14.5”. I ordered up a set of Monroe #32207, which are for a Taco rear…..collapsed length is 11.3”, extended is 18”. Put them on tonight and rode around a bit, and all seems good.

Jeff

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

hey, did you have welded on bump stop holders? I'm doing my acos tomorrow and was just wondering. mine is a 90 mj. in the instructions i printed it says same have them welded and some don't. just trying to figure out if it will be an easy project or not. :D

hey, did you have welded on bump stop holders? I'm doing my acos tomorrow and was just wondering. mine is a 90 mj. in the instructions i printed it says same have them welded and some don't. just trying to figure out if it will be an easy project or not. :D

Don't think they changed till '97 on the Cherokees. You will have twist off.

yeah, '90 bumpstops are screw-in. If you haven't had them out in a while, or ever, you may have to get them started unscrewing with a pipe wrench.....slip it inbetween the coils and spin them off a bit at a time. If the ends are still "cupped" and haven't rusted off yet, they won't fit thru the top of the coil. You have to unscrew them first, then remove the coil.

Jeff