Woo Hoo! Saved another MJ

Eagle

And it didn't cost me a dime.

My buddy, Erich, has been looking for an MJ to do his household chores, now that he's a homeowner. But the ones I had available were 2WD 4-cyl, and one needed an engine.

He just found an '88 shortbed Chief, 4.0L, AW4, skid plates, tranny cooler, gauges, tow hitch, bucket seats, full console, sliding rear window, a/c, tilt wheel, 10-spoke alloys -- and he just called to tell me he bought it for $1300. There is virtually no rust on this thing, the tailgate is straight, and it even has floors!

Some guys have all the luck.

I'll try to get him hooked up on here once he takes delivery.

eagle, can you get pics of the stock gas tank skid plate? I'd like to see how it's attached, I need one of those.

Do you still want this rollpan, it's taking up space in my garage.

I'll try to get pics when he takes possession. I think we're going to bring it home (HIS home) Friday evening, or Saturday.

Yes, I'd very much like the roll pan. I'm on the road now, will PM you when I get home.

ok. I cut the rollpan off pretty clean with the grinder. So you should be able to weld it back on pretty easily.

I did do some damage to the bondo on the bottom when it dropped off the truck, just a little mud work and it will be fine. I'll get pics when you PM me.

The t-case skids are pretty tough. Mine is finally so mangled that I need a new one, but that has been after 2 yrs of abuse :twisted: I suppose I could try and heat it and straigten it, but... Jeff on here is hooking me up with another one, so I am golden :D

Stock skids are just too thin. I had one of those steering skid thingos on there, and jeeze, one little rock and it's bent way the hell weird.

exactly, I'd like to see how it mounts. I got a friend that works for a local company with a big hydraulic computerized sheetmetal bender. So If I give him measurements he can bend me one out of 3/16" plate. On my LWB there's some studs that hang down from the gas tank straps. I assume that's how the skid mounts, but I'd like to see a pic

It mounts up to the crossmembers that hold the gas tank straps, thn to 2 places on the frame rail. If you rig has been wheeled in the rocks like mine was you will have to grind or cut those bolts off

Correct. The trucks with the gas tank skid don't have the studs on the hanger straps. Those are for the plastic gravel shield that the non-skid plate trucks get.

The bolts along the rear of the skid, into the frame, go into thread-serts (a.k.a. riv-nuts). Most likely you'll have to grind or drill them out anyway, because the bolts rust into the thread-serts, then when you try to unscrew them the inserts just spin in the holes in the frame. They're great for assembling the trucks on the assembly line, but an idiotic idea overall. Impossible to service in the field.

It mounts up to the crossmembers that hold the gas tank straps, thn to 2 places on the frame rail. If you rig has been wheeled in the rocks like mine was you will have to grind or cut those bolts off

Correct. The trucks with the gas tank skid don't have the studs on the hanger straps. Those are for the plastic gravel shield that the non-skid plate trucks get.

The bolts along the rear of the skid, into the frame, go into thread-serts (a.k.a. riv-nuts). Most likely you'll have to grind or drill them out anyway, because the bolts rust into the thread-serts, then when you try to unscrew them the inserts just spin in the holes in the frame. They're great for assembling the trucks on the assembly line, but an idiotic idea overall. Impossible to service in the field.

now wait...my truck has no skids or goofy plastic covers...:( i think i got haggled -_- i don't even see places to put on skids :-/

I've got no skid and the plastic cover is long gone.

Looks like I'm gonna have to make one. Unless someone has a skid plate for a LWB gas tank.

Does anyone know if the optional large tank on a SWB is the same tank? I'm going to look at this 90 SWB a guy is parting out today, and if it's the same skid I can hope that it has one.