Welding axle perches to an 8.8

I'm wanting to confirm if my theories are correct. I'd like to note that I plan on enlisting a buddy who welds to mount these perches. I'm not confident in the least about doing it good enough. I'd like to have it all set up.

The pinion angle should be the same as my current set up. I placed an angle finder on my current axle and found its positive 3 or so. If I prop the 8.8 to the same angle then place the perches level that will work? I just have to find out how far apart they must be and center them? Ya? 

20210108_112015.jpg

20210108_112023.jpg

Edited by rylee144
Spelling

• rylee144 changed the title to Welding axle perches to an 8.8
6 minutes ago, rylee144 said:

I'm going to get a rear driveline made after I get it all installed so I can measure what I'll need. 

The "driveline" is everything between the back of the engine and the rear wheels. I think you mean drive shaft.

Is there room for error here? I don't wanna weld it on then have to cut it back off. I don't have the new tranny or t case in yet so I can't measure the angle they will be sitting at. I guess I assumed it would be the same. 

you can always set it up 0* and add shims later to adjust pinion once all is back together. biggest thing is to keep in mind the rotational torque on the rear axle, spring wrap stuff, and if were to tilt to high you can risk the oil slinger not working adequately. mine was setup for 6.5" lift without a sye so had setup per those specs. you have some room for error if your planning on sye and carden driveshaft. 

I'm all for math and all, but for my 9" I assembled everything loose-ish, put the truck's weight on it, aligned the pinion, and tacked the perches in place.  then pulled it out for welding.  or did I get it welded in place?  I can't remember that part as clearly.  :thinking:

• 3 weeks later...

The square peice of metal is just for support and strength correct? I am making the holes further apart so I can use the stock shock mount in the rear. The square is too small and doesnt allow me to make the hole longer. Thinking I'd buy a couple squares that were a tad bigger. 

20210129_182548.jpg

20210129_182551.jpg

20210129_182615.jpg

3 hours ago, rylee144 said:

Odds of it being fine with out it?

Probably okay for street use with stock tires -- if you don't load it anywhere near capacity. Not recommended if you run big tires, wheel it, or carry heavy loads. The factory put those there for a reason ...