Sporadic dip or surge in idle

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have an injector stuck open that may account for a rich condition.  Try unplugging each injector, one at a time, and see how the engine responds.  As each one is unplugged the engine should start to run rough.  If it doesn't change much, that injector may be the problem.

1 minute ago, PhilisDiller said:

Couldn’t tell you, as this truck is still new to me. I’m guessing I’ll have to take off the thermostat housing in order to see? 

Yeah, I'm guessing it has a 180 it should have a 195

39 minutes ago, 87MJTIM said:

If you have an injector stuck open that may account for a rich condition.  Try unplugging each injector, one at a time, and see how the engine responds.  As each one is unplugged the engine should start to run rough.  If it doesn't change much, that injector may be the problem.

It started running rough every time I pulled an injector. These are 0280155700 injectors Installed by previous owner. 

6 minutes ago, jdog said:

Yeah, I'm guessing it has a 180 it should have a 195

I’ll swap it to a 195 maybe today if I have the time. Would it really be dumping that much excess fuel at 180 vs 195? I know my O2 sensor starts off reading 0.5v idling when I first fire it up and it creeps up to 1.2v once at operating temp.

2 hours ago, PhilisDiller said:

ST - 128 OL / drops to 0 in CL. 

I know it’s getting too much fuel, and i don’t think the ECU knows it’s sending too much fuel.

STFT dropping to 0 when going to CL shows ECU knows "too much fuel". What are LTFT numbers? TPS@idle? MAT@idle?

20 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

STFT dropping to 0 when going to CL shows ECU knows "too much fuel". What are LTFT numbers? TPS@idle? MAT@idle?

I know it recognizes too much fuel when it goes into closed loop.

What I meant was that I think when it’s In open loop, it is sending more fuel than it should. I really thought my fuel pressure regulator would fix it. 

LTFT has been 128 but just changed to 126 the other day. 
TPS - 14

MAT - 64 f

Here are my REM stats idling
O2 - 1.1V OL/ 0.5v CL
INJECTOR PULS WIDTH - 8.1mS OL/ 4.5mS CL
GALLONS PER HOUR - 1.1 OL / 0.8CL
MAP - 15.9 OL / 12.0 CL
VAC - 14.5 OL / didn’t grab closed loop
Water temp - 187 f
ST - 128 OL / drops to 0 in CL

24 minutes ago, PhilisDiller said:

I really thought my fuel pressure regulator would fix it.

Yeah, it should have.

INJ PW@8.1mS for CL is possible with ECT_187° and MAT_64°, if those are your ambient temperatures. TPS@14, I don't know, shouldn't it be at 17. Maybe need to take a voltage reading. @cruiser54 tips. 02S@0.5vdc during CL should be swinging between 0.0&5.0vdc (rich/lean). Have you check the 02S heater circuit?

22 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

INJ PW@8.1mS for CL is possible with ECT_187° and MAT_64°, if those are your ambient temperatures. TPS@14, I don't know, shouldn't it be aMaybe need to take a voltage reading. @cruiser54 tips. 02S@0.5vdc during CL should be swinging between 0.0&5.0vdc (rich/lean). Have you check the 02S heater circuit?

According to nick in times guide with the REM it says TPS should be between 14-18. 
I have 13.4v for the heater circuit

I’ve attached a video of me going through some of the readings while it’s idling. 

1 hour ago, PhilisDiller said:

I’ve attached a video of me going through some of the readings while it’s idling.

That 02S voltage will just not leave the RICH zone.

1 hour ago, PhilisDiller said:

I have 13.4v for the heater circuit

I'm going to take a long shot here. With ENGINE at idle can you brightly light a 12vdc testlamp on pin D2_9.

D1_D2.jpg.6a80c3f7836373dcaeefc968569a8d65.jpg

40 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

That 02S voltage will just not leave the RICH zone.

I'm going to take a long shot here. With ENGINE at idle can you brightly light a 12vdc testlamp on pin D2_9.

D1_D2.jpg.6a80c3f7836373dcaeefc968569a8d65.jpg

I don’t have a test light yet, but my multimeter is showing 54mA on D2 -9 and I’m getting like 13.4V. 

16 minutes ago, PhilisDiller said:

I don’t have a test light yet,

DVOM are high impedance meters. That is they can read voltage but can't tell you if current will flow. Testlights tax the circuit with current flow (bulb). Like I said "long shot".

19 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

None of those sensors work worth a $#!& if their ground path isn't good.

Tips 1 through 5. 

1 - I refreshed my dip stick connection when I first got it. It looks like the previous owner ran the battery ground to the dipstick connection too. The firewall ground is only grounded to a bolt on the intake manifold with a 12ga cable. Is this also supposed to be grounded to the head or is this sufficient? Refreshed the tail light ground as well. Anything else I’m missing there?

2 - I’ve decided to tackle eliminating the c101 today. Wish me luck, doesn’t look too bad. I’ve cleaned it out once already, but love peace of mind.

3 - I’ve cleaned out most accessible connectors and relays , but I’ll do a more thorough inspection while doing the c101 today

4 - is this necessary right now? I’m not having any starting issues. I was aiming to tackle ones that I thought would be causing my issues. 

5 - I checked my ground resistance against my MAP, TPS and O2 sensor. All them were 0.7 to 0.9 ohms. Any more I should be checking?

1-Intake manifold for the ground is just fine

2- Excellent idea.

3-Great

4-Is what necessary? The idea behind the Tips is to fix things before they can fail. 

5- That's fine. Do the values change if you wiggle the associated wire harnesses?

@cruiser54 I couldn’t wiggle the c101 and that harness are when testing the o2, due to my position but I was able to wiggle it with the tps and map and didn’t have any changes. I’m new to distributors, but would a poorly indexed dizzy cause any of the rich symptoms I have?

or what about bad egr? I’ve never seen my REM say EGR on. It’s always off. I don’t know much about EGRs yet. I live in NC and they do inspections. I’m guessing EGR delete is off the table. 

The dizzy should be indexed at some point, but not now. 

The MAP sensor has the biggest effect on richening the mixture, followed by the coolant temp sensor. The CTS can be monitored by the REM. 

EGR, if it isn't partially opened causing a vacuum leak, leave it alone. 

Sure the line from the throttle body to MAP even flows air? If it's plugged or kinked/collapsed, the MAP thinks there's low vacuum and asks the ECU to richen the mixture. 

@cruiser54 I’ve noticed that my IAT does read about 20f lower than ambient temperature. Only when it’s warmed up does it read just a bit higher than ambient. I know IAT is the lesser component for open loop fuel regulation, but maybe this might be causing it to run a bit rich. I can’t see it being this rich tho. 

I wasn’t able to pick up my thermostat until tonight so I’ll swap it tomorrow to a 195 and hope that helps. 

I don’t think the EGR it’s causing a vacuum leak but I’ll do your tests for it. I’m getting 14.5 vac which seems to be within range. 

The map tube looks new but I’ll verify it flows air when I’m in there. Rubber vacuum connectors look to be good too. It seems like there’s a good seal at the MAP to TB connection, but would you recommend putting a little bit of sealant on that connection to confirm it’s airtight?

Here's what I recommend.

but, a small amount of sealant would be good.

THROTTLE BODY TO MAP SENSOR HOSE FIX

The Renix throttle bodies have a strange and failure prone connector on the side where the MAP supply originates and then runs up to the MAP sensor located on the firewall. This hose/pipe assembly is no longer available for purchase.

The real kicker here is how critical this line is in supplying the correct vacuum signal to the MAP, the most relied upon sensor for the ECU to read regarding air/fuel ratio. Any cracks, melted spots, or loose rubber connectors can cause major starting and driveability issues.

There’s a simple fix though. All that’s required is a 1/8” NPT tap, a new throttle body gasket ( Napa FPG 60742 ), a vacuum fitting (Napa 05703-B102), two vacuum elbows (Napa CRB2670), and a length of new plastic piping (Napa CRB2672).

1-20160126_155433

Remove the throttle body and take it to the workbench.

Using an oiled tap along with a driver, carefully thread the lower of the 2 holes of the throttle body where the old fitting was plugged in. Don’t go too deep. These are pipe threads.

Flush the hole with carb cleaner and inspect for any left over cuttings.
This is an excellent time to do a complete throttle body and IAC cleaning.  See Tip 11.
Take the vacuum fitting (05703-B102 ) and apply a LITTLE bit of thread sealer on the threads only. I prefer Permatex #2 but almost anything is fine.

.1-TB to MAP hose-001

Carefully screw the fitting in until snug.

Install one of the vacuum elbows on the MAP sensor so it points toward the throttle body, and the other vacuum elbow on your new throttle body fitting so it points up to the MAP sensor.
Cut a length of the new plastic tubing (approximately 13 inches) to fit between the vacuum elbows and install it making sure there is enough slack for some engine movement. Route it according to the photo. We don’t want any rubbing or chafing with engine movement.  Not a bad idea to use some contact cement or Gasga-Cinch sparingly on the tubing to elbow connectors.

1-TB to MAP hose

Revised 2-06-2016