1988 Pioneer in Asheville

Hey everyone...I’ve been interested in Comanches for years, ever since my first Jeep, a 91 XJ. After a hiatus, I got back into Jeeps a few years ago with a mint 93 YJ Sahara. I pulled it around the country behind an RV and then this year took the plunge and built it up with 1-ton axles, 38’s, blah blah. As much fun as it is, I vowed never to modify such a nice Jeep again. 

Well, then came the idea to do an “overland” build with a Comanche for my business, given the popularity of mid-size trucks lately. 

So I lucked out and found a very nice 88 Pioneer locally and bought it for a pretty darn good deal. It has been repainted (excellent paint job) and the interior has been restored and upgraded with XJ stuff. It’s a 4.0, BA10/5, 2wd, not molested at all. 

Of course, given my previous vow, I can’t change or modify this thing. It’s a blast to drive and it actually feels great to have a stock Jeep again. Once we get a lift in the shop, I plan on going through it underneath and refreshing everything: fluids, bushings, brakes, etc. I’d also like to replace the chrome bumpers with black, so I’m searching for an OEM rear. 

Glad to see a Jeep forum that’s still alive!

2582D1C8-C4A5-4861-AA5F-C93A4EBBBD4F.jpeg

5AEC17A1-80A3-4F6A-891D-A82FC3BFC12E.jpeg

D5A76D65-58B6-45A1-A178-3880A9393434.jpeg

B9B39CB6-EDCC-4D13-A109-397A30503EB9.jpeg

9479A088-5D15-4162-B40B-1F7CBE22B23F.jpeg

Thanks everyone!! It does look very similar to the other member’s truck from several years ago! It appears this one spent most of its life in Alabama. Doing everything I can to keep it in good shape and original-ish..need to start with relocating the 4.0 badge 😁

That's a beautiful MJ. Welcome to forum from the other side the state. I dig thru here all the time. Some of these guys really know these machines. A ton of good information on here. I'm usually full of questions and not many answers, but the answeres are on here.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

33 minutes ago, tugboat95 said:

That's a beautiful MJ. Welcome to forum from the other side the state. I dig thru here all the time. Some of these guys really know these machines. A ton of good information on here. I'm usually full of questions and not many answers, but the answeres are on here.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

Thanks a lot!! I’m overdue for a visit to Eastern NC!