Reupholstering door panels

Has anyone tried to reupholster their door panels the factory way? Like using staples to hold the material to the door card? I want to give this a try with a door panel fabric I have. I know 3M adhesive is an option but don't want to do that if theres a factory way to do it.

55 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Has anyone tried to reupholster their door panels the factory way? Like using staples to hold the material to the door card? I want to give this a try with a door panel fabric I have. I know 3M adhesive is an option but don't want to do that if theres a factory way to do it.

I tried and the staples held fine but the card stock in mine was giving out. 

I had mine done by a shop. They stapled the ends on the back side but rolled and glued the fabric where it meets the top and bottom sections. The door cards are in so-so shape, one definitely shows water damage. I looked in to making new cards on my own, I found the type of heavy cardboard material used for them online. Haven't gone down that path yet. 

14 minutes ago, WahooSteeler said:

I had mine done by a shop. They stapled the ends on the back side but rolled and glued the fabric where it meets the top and bottom sections. The door cards are in so-so shape, one definitely shows water damage. I looked in to making new cards on my own, I found the type of heavy cardboard material used for them online. Haven't gone down that path yet. 

I found the same ones you probably found and I think I am going to venture down that path and start restoring perfect fabric door panels with new cards.

4 hours ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

I did these , reused some of the door panel foam from a 89 wagoneer and the panel backing I bought from a local upholstery shop . 

IMG_0010.JPG

Perfect. Did you do it the factory way with some staples or something like 3M? I found some of the back board material and I have two door panels that I have no attachment to to give it a shot and make new backs. 

6 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Perfect. Did you do it the factory way with some staples or something like 3M? I found some of the back board material and I have two door panels that I have no attachment to to give it a shot and make new backs. 

I used some 3m spray adhesive and some yarn needles with clear thread /line , it's held up fairly well for 4 years 

14 minutes ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

I used some 3m spray adhesive and some yarn needles with clear thread /line , it's held up fairly well for 4 years 

Nice alright! I think I have a way to try and do it the factory way. I will have to report on my status when I get what I need to pull this off.

Just now, WahooSteeler said:

Eagle, I also looked in to a spray on coating that would add some level of waterproofing to the door card. I recall finding a few products that seemed like they would work, I didn't save any of the info though. 

Thats a smart idea. But also reminds me of when I went to Alaska as a high adventure camp and one of the scouts that also went up claimed he used 7 cans of water proof on all his equipment and it still failed lol. But I am sure water proofing improved since 2010 and will give it a shot. 

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

I mean... does the door card need to be made of cardboard?  :brows: 

No...but I watched a video of a guy repairing his SJ door card with some sort of pressed PVC board, looked like it was going well but nothing more came of it. It would be nice though(which I plan on doing) to replace the bad door cards with new ones on panels that still have really good material.

The door “cardboard” can be replaced by hardboard commonly called “Masonite” that is found at lumber yards.

Replacement “watershield” material can be fabricated from 3mil thick clear poly sheeting, and attached using the special “sticky caulk” that comes in rolls and is available on Amazon.

Using the poly and the special caulk allows the shield to be removed/reused without damage.   That’s an important feature for owners of older Jeep’s😆

I spent a Saturday pulling door cards apart that had rotted backers. I did the same with a bunch of standard grey easily sourced from some 96 xj with like new panels. It never went anywhere since I couldn't find any 3/16's copper staples to repin it that weekend. It looked like that was used with glue from factory. I need to get back to it so I'd have another nice set of full black power cards then.

• 5 months later...
29 minutes ago, Rad_Comanche said:

Have you made any progress on this? I was removing my door panel today to replace my weather stripping, and my driver side is warped, ripped, does not hold all the trip clips.

To a degree. Life got in the way of doing these. I managed to get one cut but the shape needs to be trimmed a little. I need to take the other one apart since it has a great back and use that as the template. But needless to say it is straight forward. The staple situation though on the other hand, I never figured out.