Problem with pictures

It seems since the newest update, any new picture I take with my phone gets inverted when I try to post it. To fix this problem I have to "edit" the photo on my PC by rotating it all the way around and then the forum will take it in the correct orientation.  Any ideas?

This has been an ongoing thing with pictures.

Some phones leave the picture oriented the way the phone is but save a "rotation" value in the picture data so they don't have to rearrange the whole file when you rotate the camera.

Some programs ignore the rotation value so the picture shows up rotated the wrong way.

You would think that they could all get their act together but they don't.

1 minute ago, derf said:

This has been an ongoing thing with pictures.

Some phones leave the picture oriented the way the phone is but save a "rotation" value in the picture data so they don't have to rearrange the whole file when you rotate the camera.

Some programs ignore the rotation value so the picture shows up rotated the wrong way.

You would think that they could all get their act together but they don't.

I honestly have the same problem with a wiki I created at work. It has been doing it for years now and as I no longer am allowed/access to administer that server I can't troubleshoot it (not complaining as I am an engineer and not an IT guy but I could have probably fixed it by now). 

It is just an exceedingly annoying bug =P

I am not sure how the forum software works as I have never done any administration with it. However, with Mediawiki (the only online software I have administered) a stop gap to the problem was to install an add-in for picture editing that allowed users to rotate images before insertion. It was still annoying but less so. Is that a possibility?

21 minutes ago, Torq_Shep said:

I am not sure how the forum software works as I have never done any administration with it. However, with Mediawiki (the only online software I have administered) a stop gap to the problem was to install an add-in for picture editing that allowed users to rotate images before insertion. It was still annoying but less so. Is that a possibility?

send a message to Alexia.  she's our resident software guru.  :L: 

2 minutes ago, Torq_Shep said:

Its Chrome on Android that is the biggest issue but even if I load them to my PC and use Chrome or Edge it still messes up (Unless I edit the photo). I know at least one other person is having issues with it.

Just now, Torq_Shep said:

@The86manche on his Orvis ZJ thread. 

Gotcha. I use Chrome on IOS and on my school issued Chromebook and I have no issue with it. I have no other suggestions. I am not an IT guy, nor do I have any desire to be. LOL

25 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

And this is for all of your pictures, regardless of size correct? I am thinking it might have something to do with the resizing software, like derf said.

I would say 30% load right side up. Everything else not so much. 

On 10/29/2020 at 1:22 AM, Torq_Shep said:

It seems since the newest update, any new picture I take with my phone gets inverted when I try to post it. To fix this problem I have to "edit" the photo on my PC by rotating it all the way around and then the forum will take it in the correct orientation.  Any ideas?

have you talked to Alexia yet?