Rear window defrost, is it possible?

2 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

image.png.236c3551b3e1cbcfb1ee9832c03103b9.png

This is from the back of the Comanche Accessories outfitter booklet. It was entirely a possible option.

Stunning display of deep MJ knowledge eaglescout! I wonder what circuit it ran off of? Has anyone laid eye on this snow leopard of an option?

Maybe that might work, I saw that coming when it said it wouldn’t work for sliders. You’d probably have to have two kits and trim them to fit and work on either side panes and hope that it gets warm enough to heat up the middle doors. But it’s not worth to go through the trouble for that 

9 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

84-92 defogger relay, one left.

They had special build in features. 10 minute timeout, 5 minute timeout after that. I wonder if there could be some kind of secondary use (ex: Fans, Lighting etc).

• 3 years later...
2 minutes ago, Spinnakerblue89 said:

I was wondering: Could the wire harness for the bed light be used to power a device for rear window defrost? 

Not really. Unless you’re gonna cut the harness away from the dome lamp circuit. And the defrost also needs a timer relay so it won’t constantly be on. 

23 minutes ago, Spinnakerblue89 said:

Drats. 

So goes the world!

You probably could land a whole circuit from an XJ and wire it in. The XJ rear defrost it almost the same dimension as the MJ rear window. 

28 minutes ago, Spinnakerblue89 said:

That was another thought, since scrapyards seem to be chock full of Cherokee in my neck of the woods.

Its honestly worth a shot. I have an XJ electrical manual and could help guide ya through where to hook it up.

12 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Its honestly worth a shot. I have an XJ electrical manual and could help guide ya through where to hook it up.

Appreciate it. For now I'm just exploring the idea, I stumbled upon this thread as I was searching for ideas to fix the rear window- it has no handle. Luckily my local JYs all have a plethora of old Rangers and F150s also. 

1 minute ago, Spinnakerblue89 said:

Appreciate it. For now I'm just exploring the idea, I stumbled upon this thread as I was searching for ideas to fix the rear window- it has no handle. Luckily my local JYs all have a plethora of old Rangers and F150s also. 

No problem. It was an optional accessory back in the day. So I don’t see it being impossible. 

I was wondering a while back about using XJ centre console and rear heater ducting to run air up and back towards the window, or just warm up the space behind the seats. 

But I don’t often find a need for defrosting the rear window. Seems like the front defrost is good enough blowing air up and over the seats, and I’ve got my side vents (that normally blow on your face) aimed at the side windows if I need a little more air to keep them clear to use the mirrors.

The heater is excellent considering it’s intended to heat 3x the space in an XJ. I just wish it had a combo floor and windshield position.