Fuel tank leak

I filled my tank up $60 worth and then heard fuel spilling onto the ground.

On passenger's side looking under bed I could see it spilling from fuel tank, around a circular area where feed/return lines come out.

'87 truck had sat for 2 years.

So what's the likely culprit rubber seal or gasket thats gone bad?

On mine where the tubes meet the metal plate there is a stress crack and it leaks there under pressure. I just make sure not to fill it up. Its a pain though. I have tried some gas tank goop that works for a while but the jarring eventually cracks it too. Supposedly there is a rubber stopper the pump is supposed to set on in the tank to take pressure off the lines. I need to drop mine again and check to see that the pump is seated properly. Hope that helps.

same exact thing happend to me. what i did was sucked all the gas out (or all of the gas above the circle) and bought a new fuel pump (not a bad idea, i would recomd it since you have to take it off anyway) the new pump came with the correct gasket and all, then reinstall. no leaks

to get the pump out there are some tabs on that circle, you need to get a screwdriver and a hammer and tap it gently(don't make sparks!) until it unlocks. then replace. it can be a pain to get it back on and to get the seal to seat right, but it is very possible jamminz.gif good luck!

I gotta do things on the cheap for this project, not replace good fuel pump just cause I'm taking it out.

I got a new fuel pump gasket at NAPA today anyway, asking them trying to diagnose. Just a paper gasket right? I guess I'll give that a try.

I gotta do things on the cheap for this project, not replace good fuel pump just cause I'm taking it out.

I got a new fuel pump gasket at NAPA today anyway, asking them trying to diagnose. Just a paper gasket right? I guess I'll give that a try.

NO it not a paper gasket, It's a Rubber O-ring, about 3 inch in dim, fits between the tank/sending unit disk and the lock ring.

It's not a fuel pump gasket, it the sending unit O-ring that your looking for.

And the O-ring gasket isn't going to fix it, anyway. The problem is almost certainly going to be the aforementioned stress crack where the metal lines go through the metal mounting flange for the fuel pump assembly. The best you can do is clean it down as well as possible from the outside and apply either a gasoline-resistant RTV or an epoxy paste of some type around the lines to try to seal them to the flange.