Maximum tire size?

What is the maximum tire size that i can put on my 89 2wd 4.0l comanche(no lifts)? I am looking at 235 75 r15 but i don't know how many inches this comes out to and some one told me that 29" is my max.

Also, is my bolt pattern 5 X 4.5?

I currently have 265 75 r15 on and they rub bad when at full turn.

Just took this pic this weekend in my latest photo shoot of the truck. Pulling its weight around the farm again this harvest.

It is running some 31" x 10.5s and all I had to do was replace the stop bolts with some that were a tad longer to stop the rubbing. I was told when i bought this thing that it has a 3" lift, but when I measured and compared it to stock height it is the same. So it either doesn't or it has settled over time. Don't mind Cricket, she just loves having her own bucket seat rather then a bench like my K-10. She is a malamute before anyone asks.

Alex

I'm planning on doing a 3-4.5 inch lift at some point in the not to distant future but am at a point where I have to replace my tire now... so I am trying to figure out the biggest tire I can fit under my stock suspension so it won't look too goofy when I lift it and can't afford new tires yet because I just did tires in October.

From what I am gathering here I should be able to do a 30 inch tire with minimal issue. Maybe a 31? What about width... do I need to stick to the 9.5 width or can I manage a 10.5. I'm not sure what I'll do rim wise. Right now I have two sets of Jeep 15X7 rims, but I'm considering going to a 15X8 (or other recommendation) to accomadate larger tires down the road. If I change out the rims, what kind of backspacing should I be targeting?

Also, any recommendations on sites to buy from?

It is running some 31" x 10.5s and all I had to do was replace the stop bolts with some that were a tad longer to stop the rubbing. I was told when i bought this thing that it has a 3" lift, but when I measured and compared it to stock height it is the same. So it either doesn't or it has settled over time.

Doesn't look even close to stock height.

The correct measurement is from the centerline of the axle (hub cap, or whatever) straight up to the bottom edge of the flare. The measurement should be 17-1/2" for the front, and for an MJ about 20" or 20-1/2" for the rear. At stock height, 31s in the front should look like they were really stuffed in there. Your truck visually looks like at least a 2" to 3" lift.

From what I am gathering here I should be able to do a 30 inch tire with minimal issue. Maybe a 31? What about width... do I need to stick to the 9.5 width or can I manage a 10.5. I'm not sure what I'll do rim wise. Right now I have two sets of Jeep 15X7 rims, but I'm considering going to a 15X8 (or other recommendation) to accomadate larger tires down the road. If I change out the rims, what kind of backspacing should I be targeting?

You have already been shown that 31x10.50s will fit the stock suspension. They will ... with stock 15x7 Jeep rims. They WILL rub the lower control arms at full steering lock ... so will 30x9.50s. You either adjust the steering stops, or live with it.

Backspacing on the Jeep rims is 5-1/4". There are NO aftermarket 15x8 rims that offer that backspacing. If you use aftermarket rims, the tires WILL extend farther out from the vehicle centerline. This is a problem. On the stock rims, 31x10.50s will tuck up (just barely) inside the stock flares when the front suspension is compressed. If you use rims with less backspacing (even 15x7), the tires will hit the flares and rip them apart in short order. This will continue to be the case even after lifting, BTW, unless you extend the bump stops. That solves the problem of hitting the flares -- but you lose suspension travel, so what's the point?

In the rear, 31x10.50s will fit on Jeep rims and will tuck inside the flares. They ride VERY close to the frame, and when the suspension gets twisted up you see marks where the top of the tire rubs the inside of the wheelwell. A bit less backspacing would help that, but then you're back to hitting the flares. Running 30x9.50s gains an extra half inch of clearance there. I just ran the 31s and accepted the occasional rubbing. It didn't seem to hurt anything.

Thank you for the additional clarification, I was getting mixed information between here and elsewhere but you certainly are more convincing and you are right, that photo should have answered my question. Sounds like I'll be sticking with the stock wheels, now I just have to pick out my tires.

[quote name="EagleYou have already been shown that 31x10.50s will fit the stock suspension. They will ... with stock 15x7 Jeep rims. They WILL rub the lower control arms at full steering lock ... so will 30x9.50s. You either adjust the steering stops' date=' or live with it.

Backspacing on the Jeep rims is 5-1/4". There are NO aftermarket 15x8 rims that offer that backspacing. If you use aftermarket rims, the tires WILL extend farther out from the vehicle centerline. This is a problem. On the stock rims, 31x10.50s will tuck up (just barely) inside the stock flares when the front suspension is compressed. If you use rims with less backspacing (even 15x7), the tires will hit the flares and rip them apart in short order. This will continue to be the case even after lifting, BTW, unless you extend the bump stops. That solves the problem of hitting the flares -- but you lose suspension travel, so what's the point?

In the rear, 31x10.50s will fit on Jeep rims and will tuck inside the flares. They ride VERY close to the frame, and when the suspension gets twisted up you see marks where the top of the tire rubs the inside of the wheelwell. A bit less backspacing would help that, but then you're back to hitting the flares. Running 30x9.50s gains an extra half inch of clearance there. I just ran the 31s and accepted the occasional rubbing. It didn't seem to hurt anything.[/quote]

It is running some 31" x 10.5s and all I had to do was replace the stop bolts with some that were a tad longer to stop the rubbing. I was told when i bought this thing that it has a 3" lift, but when I measured and compared it to stock height it is the same. So it either doesn't or it has settled over time.

Doesn't look even close to stock height.

The correct measurement is from the centerline of the axle (hub cap, or whatever) straight up to the bottom edge of the flare. The measurement should be 17-1/2" for the front, and for an MJ about 20" or 20-1/2" for the rear. At stock height, 31s in the front should look like they were really stuffed in there. Your truck visually looks like at least a 2" to 3" lift.

Well let me restate this, when I compared it to my 86 4x4 it was about the same. And as far as I knew there was no lift on the 86. But there could have been since It looked really high up there and I loved how it sat better then this 91. Maybe Joe can get in on this with my old 86.

Alex

Well let me restate this, when I compared it to my 86 4x4 it was about the same. And as far as I knew there was no lift on the 86. But there could have been since It looked really high up there and I loved how it sat better then this 91. Maybe Joe can get in on this with my old 86.

Why don't you just measure it? It takes about 30 seconds, then you'd know instead of guessing.

Wheel center straight up to flare. 17-1/2" front, 20" or 20-1/2" rear.

Done.

Why don't you just measure it? It takes about 30 seconds, then you'd know instead of guessing.

Wheel center straight up to flare. 17-1/2" front, 20" or 20-1/2" rear.

Done.

Here's the quick and easy way to determine your lift over stock:

COMANCHE STOCK HEIGHT

Front: Measure from top of axle tube to underside of frame rail, inboard of the coil spring. Do NOT measure from the diff housing or shift motor housing. 2WD models should be 6-3/4" plus or minus 1/2". 4WD models should be 7-3/4" plus or minus 1/2".

Rear: Measure the vertical distance between the top of the axle tube and the underside of the frame rail inboard of the jounce bumper. 2WD models should be 8.2" plus or minus 1/2". 4WD models should be 9.2 inchws plus or minus 1/2".

Lower arms for a WJ (I think) are curved inwards to allow you more space for wider tires. I had 255/85/16s on mine for awhile (ZJ rims) and they would've been fine if I did my SOA lift with the curved arms.

Correct Jim. I just completed this mod and it's well worth it. I was surprised to see how nice and shiney the old LCA's were from tire rub, since I never heard it. Besides better handling, the WJ arms allow me to do a 180* turn w/o backing up twice in my driveway now.

Eh, I really don't care if it has the 3" lift or not. I'm actually trying to trade it for a 75-77 camaro. If it has it it has it, if not then oh well. Alex

Alex, this is surprising mate. Yeah, 75-77 Camaros are okay, but I thought you were MJ hard core jamminz.gif . But I suppose you have your reasons. But you'll prolly be like Rick in CO, who got rid of his MJ, then bemoaned his loss, and got it back again. BTW, you still there Rick??

Eh, I really don't care if it has the 3" lift or not. I'm actually trying to trade it for a 75-77 camaro. If it has it it has it, if not then oh well. Alex

Alex, this is surprising mate. Yeah, 75-77 Camaros are okay, but I thought you were MJ hard core jamminz.gif . But I suppose you have your reasons. But you'll prolly be like Rick in CO, who got rid of his MJ, then bemoaned his loss, and got it back again. BTW, you still there Rick??

Oh yea, I love my MJ. I'm not trying all THAT hard to get rid of it. It's just if someone has one and are willing to trade I will probably take em up on it. But even if that does happen I will still be around here that is for sure. The lack of extra seats and a 15k mile motor that burns oil pretty bad when you let it idle is killing me also. I would probably trade it for a LWB, Auto, 4.0L, 4x4 MJ if I could get one with a decent motor for once. my first one was perfect, no leaks and it didn't burn any, but was only 2wd. I will say I loved my 86 X the most out of all three I have had, but that engine in it leaking puddles of oil was ticking a lot of people off (my dad for puddles on his drive). I would trade for one just like it as long as it didn't leak like crazy and didn't smoke like crazy. If only I could find a job, then I would keep the MJ and buy a Camaro. The farm held me over through the summer, but now I am having the worst time trying to find a job.

Alex