1J7FT36E9KL426290

The86manche

1989 jeep comanche short bed!

20200821_144356.jpg.fa127da297fb35bc75ff89c8473c9f39.jpg

20200821_144438.jpg.201a56c1c3cb06028501c6317f6d50e0.jpg

20200821_144405.jpg.ff17e1d09ec3551fd51fc238d5cb41bd.jpg

Poor girl has seen better days..

Shes a a 4 cylinder, i believe it was a 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, short bed. Dana 35 rear gears unknown. I believe its a pioneer but the truck has been resprayed same color.

Located in western Massachusetts in a service centers yard. However its not a junkyard per se.

Not on the road obviously but title is still around.

It was parked because supposedly the engine is blown. I could not get it to kick over, i tried. It sounded weird cranking so i believe that the engine could be blown However it did crank, fuel pump works too! And accidentally cranked it in gear and it rolled a bit so trans is good lol

Also it was smacked on the passenger front. Not sure the story on that but fender and header are junk.

As far as options its very weird for a pioneer as its very base model. Light blue exterior, grey interior, chrome interior accents, dummy light cluster, bench seat with mini consol. Factory cassette radio, No AC, tilt column no cruise control.

Had a swb sport bar with marchel fog lights and factory sport light switch but the sport bar was added. There were no brackets and the light switch did not turn on the lights.(yes i took them)

Just truck is down but not out. It can be rescued. Or used for parts.

6 minutes ago, The86manche said:

1989 jeep comanche short bed!

Just truck is down but not out. It can be rescued. Or used for parts.

you should post that in the classifieds with some contact info. :L:  

*X1 TRIM STYLE X1 - CLOTH BENCH
-SA Charcoal
131 Zone 31-Boston
1AA U.S. Dealer Retail
5AM Largo Tracking
5KM AMES Department Stores
ALM  
APA Monotone Paint
BAQ 61 AMP ALTERNATOR
BCX  
BGA Power Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes
BJA STD DUTY FRT DISC BRAKES
BKP 10x2.5 Rear Drum Brakes
CBA Straight Back Bench Seat
CKA Carpets - Floor and Cargo Area
CSR Passenger Assist Handles
CUM Mini Floor Console
DBB All Manual Transmissions
DDQ 5-Speed Manual Transmission
DMF 4.10 Rear Axle Ratio
DRJ 175MM Rear Axle
EAA All Engines
EAF ALL FUEL INJECTED ENGINES-GAS
EPD ENGINE - 2.5L I4 TBI GAS
GAC Tinted Glass Windows
GBB Tinted Windshield Glass
GCB Front Door Tinted Glass
GEH Fixed Door Vent Glass
GNA Rear View Day/Night Mirror
GRZ Left Remote Mirror
GSZ Right Remote Control Mirror
GTZ Manual Remote Mirrors
HCD Do Not Use - See HCA
JAA Instrument Panel
JAZ DO NOT USE - See JP, KA classes
JBD BEZEL-I/PANEL CLUSTER - BRIGHT
JCA 85 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHA Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JJA Cigar Lighter
JKB  
K2X STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
K3B STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
KKE  
LAF Seat Belt Alert-Driver Seat only
LAP Shift Indicator Warning Lamp
LBC Glove Box Lamp
LCJ DOME/READING LAMP B-PILLAR
LMA Halogen Headlamps
MB1 Black Front Bumper
MBJ Black  Bumper
MDA Front License Plate Bracket
MFG Body Color Headlamp Bezels
MHA Black Windshield Moldings
MMC Rear Door Solid Window Insert
MMG Belt Moldings
MMK Lower Grille Surround-Painted Silver
NAA Federal Emissions
NBA LIGHT DUTY CYCLE
NBK EVAP Control System
NDA Catalytic Converter
NF2 18.5 Gallon Fuel Tank
PB3 Intense Blue Pearl Coat
QB3 Intense Blue Pearl Coat
RAA All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RAB AM/FM Radio
RCD 4 Speakers
SBA Power Steering
SCE  Steering Wheel
SFA Standard Duty Shock Absorbers
SGA Rear Shock Absorbers
TAA All Tires
TBC Compact Spare Tire
TBM Tire Carrier Winch
TPF P205/75R15 BSW All Season Tires
WJD 15X7.0 Styled Steel Wheels
XBS Pickup Box
XFA -35F Protection Anti-Freeze
YAA Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications
YGG 9 Additional Gallons of Gas
Z01 Rear Spring Group I
Z1A GVW/Payload Rating
Z56 Left Front Spring Group Vi
Z76

Right Front Spring Group VI

Build date 9/12/88

Body code TM61.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
12 hours ago, GonzoTheGreat said:

Well I may have been a bad influence yesterday, but my buddy just bought this one and dragged it home. The short term plan is to get it up and running as-is, for run-around-town homeowner duties. 
IMG_2375.jpeg.9e7440847168ff9f7ccd39894c2cc1d4.jpeg

Glad to see your buddy pick it up. My friend who owned it told me about someone coming to see it. I hope it gets revived. It does run! I have videos, I got it up and running but the fuel pump is rough, bottom where the sock goes was rotted off.

On 2/12/2024 at 8:39 AM, GonzoTheGreat said:

Well I may have been a bad influence yesterday, but my buddy just bought this one and dragged it home. The short term plan is to get it up and running as-is, for run-around-town homeowner duties. 
IMG_2375.jpeg.9e7440847168ff9f7ccd39894c2cc1d4.jpeg

Hey all, I'm the new owner of this gem. :waving: I'll make my own thread later but to reiterate what was said, plan is to get it running and driving and put floors in it.
I've always wanted a Comanche but they wound up way out of my price range for a decent shape 4.0 4x4 5 speed, so i jumped at this one when it came up. being 2wd 4 cylinder short bed and 5 speed I think this will just be for hauling crap around and making trips to the hardware store. Though, I am also kind of an idiot and I may do something really stupid with it out of boredom, we'll expound on that in my own thread!

1 hour ago, guardrail said:

Hey all, I'm the new owner of this gem. :waving: I'll make my own thread later but to reiterate what was said, plan is to get it running and driving and put floors in it.
I've always wanted a Comanche but they wound up way out of my price range for a decent shape 4.0 4x4 5 speed, so i jumped at this one when it came up. being 2wd 4 cylinder short bed and 5 speed I think this will just be for hauling crap around and making trips to the hardware store. Though, I am also kind of an idiot and I may do something really stupid with it out of boredom, we'll expound on that in my own thread!

Glad to have you around. Comancheclub is indeed the best club.

:beerchug:

19 hours ago, The86manche said:

Here, to give you a little excitement and hype for your build. Video of when I got it running :brows:

Oh neat! yeah there are some really concerning noises coming from the bellhousing area. I turned the engine over by hand a few times and one spot has a strange noise that sounds vaguely spring loaded. I think the slave cylinder probably gave up and is rusted to the pressure plate, or something like that. Either way the transmission is coming out of it. I got a new water pump to put in it too, it's just too dang cold out to mess around with it right now. I'm not looking forward to chasing down all of the various vacuum lines/leaks once it does run again haha.

54 minutes ago, guardrail said:

Oh neat! yeah there are some really concerning noises coming from the bellhousing area. I turned the engine over by hand a few times and one spot has a strange noise that sounds vaguely spring loaded. I think the slave cylinder probably gave up and is rusted to the pressure plate, or something like that. Either way the transmission is coming out of it. I got a new water pump to put in it too, it's just too dang cold out to mess around with it right now. I'm not looking forward to chasing down all of the various vacuum lines/leaks once it does run again haha.

Yeah the clurch was blown out when he got it. I figured it would be best to replace everything. Even the brakes where shot. I'd probably look into an external slave conversion. There's been a few tj ax5s hitting my local yard lately. But I feel you on the cold. That snow storm Las week really brought in a cold front

2 minutes ago, The86manche said:

Yeah the clurch was blown out when he got it. I figured it would be best to replace everything. Even the brakes where shot. I'd probably look into an external slave conversion. There's been a few tj ax5s hitting my local yard lately. But I feel you on the cold. That snow storm Las week really brought in a cold front

I think I'm basically going to be replacing anything rubber or friction related. I'll need to dig up some research on an external slave conversion. for the purposes of getting this thing moving asap I may just replace it with stock for now. I have no real plans to ever do anything extreme with it, or dailying it. 

30 minutes ago, guardrail said:

I think I'm basically going to be replacing anything rubber or friction related. I'll need to dig up some research on an external slave conversion. for the purposes of getting this thing moving asap I may just replace it with stock for now. I have no real plans to ever do anything extreme with it, or dailying it. 

Should just need an external slave ax5 bellhousing the clutch fork and the associated clutch components though the master cylinder might be different.

The 2.5 flywheel is supposedly unobtainium so don't throw that away, try and have that resurfaced if you can. 

30 minutes ago, The86manche said:

Should just need an external slave ax5 bellhousing the clutch fork and the associated clutch components though the master cylinder might be different.

The 2.5 flywheel is supposedly unobtainium so don't throw that away, try and have that resurfaced if you can. 

Good to know. I have a machine shop about a mile down the road that does resurfacing so I hope there's enough meat left on it to take it down. If it's a simple "swap this for that" I may do it, assuming I can find the parts. Seems to be the way it is. either you can't get it anymore or someone makes repops of it. 

1 hour ago, guardrail said:

Good to know. I have a machine shop about a mile down the road that does resurfacing so I hope there's enough meat left on it to take it down. If it's a simple "swap this for that" I may do it, assuming I can find the parts. Seems to be the way it is. either you can't get it anymore or someone makes repops of it. 

That it is, but these trucks have garnered enough attention that there are more repop parts being made.

There might be a write up on the conversion somewhere on the site if you do some digging