Chrysler V8 to AX15 Comanche?

Ok, so I'm thinking a V8 would be nice to have in my wheeling MJ and I was wondering if a Chrysler V8 could be mated to the Jeep AX15 by using the bellhousing from a Dakota pickup that had the AX15 transmission. Of course I would need to create my own motor mounts and such, but I really want the sound of the V8 that you can't get with the 4.0L.

The standard AX-15 bell housing may mate up. A friend of mine recently put an AX-15 behind an AMC 390 in a Hudson street rod he built. The only problem he had was finding a pilt bearing or bushing (I don't remember which he used) that fit both the crank and the transmission input shaft.

For 92 and newer AX15 transmission with older pre-92 Jeep motors you have to use a pilot bushing for a 73 Jeep CJ5 with the 304V8 engine, at least that's what I found to fit when I replaced my Peugeot with the AX15 from a 97 Wrangler.

dodge dakotas were available with 5.2/5.9 and a AX15/NV3500. the 4.0 bellhousing won't work though i don't think a junkyard would want to much for a bellhousing

The 5.9L was only available with an auto in Dakotas (as part of the R/T package). And only as 2wd too. Durangos could get a 5.9/auto with 4wd (also R/T).

dodge dakotas were available with 5.2/5.9 and a AX15/NV3500.

Proof of the 5.2l. please.....

My father tried, and tried, and tried, and tried to order one with a 5.2 and a manual, and it was never available according to Chryco(In Detroit, his local dealer is run by idiots). He tried every year from 94 until they got rid of 5.2, because that was what he REALLY wanted.

imho swapping in a 5.2 wuold be a waste of time, its not that much above a 4.0 stock anyways. and If i remember right there's not much aftermarket out there for them compared to like SBCs and 5.0s

the Chryco 5.9 would be a decent swap though.

I would disagree with you about a 5.2 being 'not that much above' a stock 4.0.

Both my ZJ, and my Dad's 3 or 4 Dakotas with the 5.2l had ALOT more stock power than a 4.0l.

But I will agree that there hasn't traditionally been aftermarket support to the level of 302, or the SBC motors. Thank ChryCo for that though..

what ever became of the swap of the 4.7(v8 ) into a MJ would like to know if there has any progress been made of that effort. also would like to know if a early v8 like the 283sbc or the 289f would work.

Any thoughts on this :???:

what ever became of the swap of the 4.7(v8) into a MJ would like to know if there has any progress been made of that effort. also would like to know if a early v8 like the 283sbc or the 289f would work.

Any thoughts on this :???:

If a 302(5.0l) would work, than a 289 would work. Same block.

They put the 5.9 in some ZJ's in 1998 also.

I worded that poorly. What I meant was that one could only get an auto behind the 5.9 in Dakotas/Durangos (and the 98 ZJ). A manual trans (nv-4500) was available behind the 5.9L in the fullsize Ram.

The 5.2L was good for like 220 or 230 hp.

Oh, and the stick was most certainly available behind the 5.2L.

ebay dak with 5.2L/stick