Suggestions for a new family commuter

Smokeyyank

2 hours ago, Torq_Shep said:

I haven't heard anything bad about them. I don't know anyone with a 5 but I have had several friends with 3s that have the same drivetrain. No major issues. 

Plus if you get bored you can swap in the Speed 3s drivetrain... 

I contemplated a Mazda 5 before I got the Hot-rOdyssey. 

LOL this is all I can picture

1897761_733061693393262_759577280_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=2d5d41&_nc_ohc=_xPKCaEhuSMAX9I5q6C&_nc_ht=scontent.fapa1-2.fna&oh=6654cd91de57308e4268890bc792efa3&oe=5F224D85

Dodge Journey. Not quite a minivan. My wife loves hers. The best part is it's big enough for me to sit in front and a car seat behind me comfortably.

IMG_20200630_174902391.jpg.f4590ee223d48374fabf701cc62a3466.jpg

The back doors also open 90 degrees. The 3.6 with 280 horse makes it fun to drive.

• 3 weeks later...

So purchased a 2012 Scion xB today. It's in St George, UT but price, mileage and everything else was right. 2 owner NV car so no rust, 5 speed, 69k miles for $6300 total. Little bit outside my budget but should be a solid runner. Had a PPI done only issue was a dead battery and leaking shocks. Dealer agreed to replace the battery, not too worried about the shocks and I'll eventually replace them and put a little drop on it. Shop owner mentioned how great these are as they run forever and are comfy to drive. I did drive one a few weeks ago in Denver to get a feel. Surprising big inside and decent get up on go. Did lot's of research before and the xB consistently came to the top, good safety rating, great reliability, decent MPG and high resale. Worst case I don't like I flip it make some cash. Comparable ones in Denver where 9k+ based on mileage. One thing that I really liked (other than a 5 speed) was the back seat room. It's listed as having 38" of leg room along with 41" of head room. My WJ in comparison is 35" leg room and 39" head room. Appreciate the input from everyone. 

2012 Elusive Blue Metallic Scion xB #69657738 Photo #3 | GTCarLot ...

6 hours ago, derf said:

Nice.  You going to take it out of the box when you get home? :dunce:

(it's funnier with the more boxy first gen xB...)

Haha, yeah my wife is already like that thing is ugly, and I told her yes it is but for once in our relationship can you give me credit for choosing a practical vehicle. It's safe relaible and get good gas mileage. Compared to every other vehicle I've owned this is the most practical one ever. Like ever.......

6 hours ago, Pete M said:

can't beat a box on wheels for practicality.  :D  

See exactly Pete get's it. Now just to convince the wife......

5 hours ago, early comanche owner said:

believe it or not Minivan is a great opion.  had a 2005 odyssey and worked harder than any pickup i have had,   comfortable for long trips and pleanty of storage.   equinox is okay but older ones didnt have vents in the back.   full size truck 4 door is good but bad on gas....    

I did dip towards the darkside, but few things that popped up that I really didnt want to skimp on; safety ratings and MPG. 2007 odyssey for example got dinged on saftey restraints and a "poor" rating, MPG was better than the WJ but not by much. That pig averages about 15mpg surprisingly, but that's mainly heavy highway driving. Not that far off but still wanted something a little higher than 25 hwy. Plus a 5 speed isn't happening in a van. Wasn't needed but I really like my 3 pedals. Especially in the hills. 

3 hours ago, Smokeyyank said:

Dealer agreed to replace the battery, not too worried about the shocks and I'll eventually replace them and put a lift and 31s on it

Fixed for ya!

:laugh: