The "Grandpa Jeep" as some friends say...

So, I acquired this MJ back in March. It is of the super base model 2.5, AX4, 2wd, shortbed variety. Since I've owned it, I've really just put time into the preservation and upkeep of this super clean, bone stock example.

Right off the car hauler it showed up on, it had a charging system issue. I started out front in the engine bay and ended up finding the 7.5A Instrument cluster fuse to be the issue. Damn that thing.

But, if it weren't for that fuse I wouldn't have noticed my leaking clutch master cylinder...so I guess that's a plus.  

After she was tagged and titled, I did a few small sprucy-uppy things like paint the mirror (singular), cowl filler panel, etc. 

Also played with several grille, headlight bezel combos as I have an '89 XJ Laredo in my backyard...

Then I turned my 3-piece headliner backing-board into a cohesive one piece unit, as it was when it left the factory, and recovered the sagging headliner with some decent material from Jo-Ann Fabrics. I installed a couple missing interior and exterior trim pieces, and here we sit. 

What next? Hood, roof repaint? I think so. 

IMG_4945.JPG

IMG_4895.JPG

IMG_4899.JPG

IMG_4917.JPG

IMG_4919.JPG

IMG_4967.JPG

IMG_4911.JPG

IMG_4907.JPG

7 minutes ago, Original 87 said:

That is a very nice truck interior looks as good as the outside! Nice headliner repair. How many miles does it have?? More pictures?

Thanks! It currently has 176K and counting. At the moment I actually don't have any nice detail shots of the truck, other than what I've worked on and posted here. Should probably take some more... Here's a tail 3/4 shot...haha

IMG_5080.JPG

3 minutes ago, Original 87 said:

Wow would never have guessed it had that many miles on it. Very clean. Nice survivor. That patina makes it a classic. People pay extra for that!

Yes, its been very well cared for. I have two owner's worth of service records dating back to 2002 for the truck.

Very true, likely going to do a roll-on body color bedliner before I even consider a top-half repaint. But, I am toying with the idea. 

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

it looks like it had a repaint some point in its life. Tailgate straps was an indicator for me and also the nameplates are too high from their original placement. Otherwise very nice MJ and another 2.5L out there, lets see some engine bay pics.

You are correct sir. There was a Colorado Red -original color- cheapo respray performed at one point in it's life (overspray on door seals, a poor tape line on one fender flare, straps as you mentioned...) I honestly didn't pick up on the nameplate placement. Now to stare at other's Jeeps for a second...

Here is the one bay shot I have, actually pulled from the listing where I found the truck: 

engine bay.jpg

Lol, also very clean and a really base 2.5L with no PS dang. That engine will last ya for ever. If ya wanted you could put an E-fan in and gain a few more HP with the lack of PS and AC.

Also when you get the chance can you get an up close pic of the white sticker on the fan shroud? 

Right here:

image.png.5281bde8cb79e2f085b510fabac88682.png

Ok now I can see the overspray. But who cares still a very nice truck, just as clean under the hood. If owners had them painted once most would be in better shape now mine included. Wish I would have painted it 15 years ago.

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

Lol, also very clean and a really base 2.5L with no PS dang. That engine will last ya for ever. If ya wanted you could put an E-fan in and gain a few more HP with the lack of PS and AC.

Also when you get the chance can you get an up close pic of the white sticker on the fan shroud? 

Right here:

Sure thing. If it isn't today, I'll get to it soon. I've actually got a late model Dodge Dakota electric fan lying around that may fit that radiator nicely.  Thanks for the idea. 

Lucky find not only for that relay cover but especially the clips holding it. Not familiar with the 4 cylinders but was it converted to an open cooling system? My 4.0 has a closed system.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

12 minutes ago, tugboat95 said:

Not familiar with the 4 cylinders but was it converted to an open cooling system? My 4.0 has a closed system.

2.5L left the factory with that set up. Some have converted to the 2.5L cooling set up by just changing out the bottle to the 2.5L and deleting the ballast resistor and moving the EGR solenoid.

27 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

2.5L left the factory with that set up. Some have converted to the 2.5L cooling set up by just changing out the bottle to the 2.5L and deleting the ballast resistor and moving the EGR solenoid.

Like me...

3 hours ago, rtferguson_39 said:

Very true, likely going to do a roll-on body color bedliner before I even consider a top-half repaint. But, I am toying with the idea. 

Nooo! That makes it impossible to make it have nice paint in the future. 

16 hours ago, tugboat95 said:

Grandpa or not, that's a good looking Comanche.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

Thank you. It serves its purpose just fine for me. I dig it. Super cool, rare (to most people), weekend hauler. Not even considering a 4wd swap at this point. 

29 minutes ago, rtferguson_39 said:

Thank you. It serves its purpose just fine for me. I dig it. Super cool, rare (to most people), weekend hauler. Not even considering a 4wd swap at this point. 

Sounds like my truck... 2WD till the day it dies or gets sold if I ever do that to myself. Definitely just a weekend hauler.  

4 hours ago, rtferguson_39 said:

Just to clarify, I'm only applying bed liner to the interior of the bed, as it should be used on a truck in this condition and configuration. 

Ok. That sounds good. 

that truck is friggin' awesome and I'm glad someone such as yourself got ahold if it. :L: 

I'm a big fan of originality :D 

anyone calling it a grandpa truck is a young whipper snapper that doesn't deserve a ride shotgun.  :grinyes:

On 6/29/2020 at 9:38 PM, Pete M said:

that truck is friggin' awesome and I'm glad someone such as yourself got ahold if it. :L: 

I'm a big fan of originality :D 

anyone calling it a grandpa truck is a young whipper snapper that doesn't deserve a ride shotgun.  :grinyes:

Haha I hear you there. Well thank you, as am I. I plan to keep her going as she is, and just return the exterior to near showroom glory. Once I get another project car out of my garage within a few weeks, this MJ returns to enclosed storage when not in use. 

On 6/25/2020 at 3:57 PM, eaglescout526 said:

Right here:

Hey there eaglescout526, I finally got a chance to snag that picture. There are other project cars around/in my garage, so I'm spread thin at times. Cooling system service schedule: 

IMG_5122_Large.JPG

3 minutes ago, rtferguson_39 said:

Hey there eaglescout526, I finally got a chance to snag that picture. There are other project cars around/in my garage, so I'm spread thin at times. Cooling system service schedule: 

IMG_5122_Large.JPG

Thats awesome! I’ve never seen such a good example of that sticker except in the catalog. That needs to be remade.