Project Scuzzy

On 1/8/2021 at 10:28 PM, MiNi Beast said:

thanks. yeah @Pete M was telling me a wrangler one will work. I appreciate the link as i will be needing one for my swap. and i think it will work nice. yours looks good. :thumbsup:

It works nice. Pretty much an air-tight seal around the shifter now...interior noise level has been cut way down. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Scuzzy made my garage smell like gas all the time, and the gas gauge didn't work. Time to swap out the fuel sender, fuel filter, and replace all the rubber hoses. MTS supplied the new unit with the pump. Glad I dropped the tank as the vent lines on top were all dry-rotted and needed replacing. Also, I didn't notice how the fuel pump assembly mounts inside the tank until I had it on the bench and was able to peer inside and figure out how it fits together. Makes sense when looking at the below pics. Might be common knowledge for most of you, but its all new to me.

Biggest PITA was reinstalling the tank. If I had to do it again, I'd remove the driveshaft first. 

20210123_180038 (1).jpg

20210123_180211.jpg

20210123_180331.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update

Since the factory radio didn't light up, @Minuit commented that the best thing to do is recycle it. I agreed, and for less than $40 I installed a Boss radio. I'm not some hardcore audiophile so this will be sufficient. While at it, I discovered the reason my cigarette lighter didn't work was it rusted out inside (odd?) so I replaced it with a USB charging port.  Bonus, I also replaced the HVAC control lightbulb, so 3 fixes in 1 afternoon :banana:

I totally blame @JackD for his idea of a Gladiator rear bumper idea which I think is pretty darn cool. Today I picked up a 2021 Gladiator bumper for $100. Should be a fun project. 

20210218_194403.jpg

20210220_225249.jpg

2 hours ago, Jesse J said:

what's wrong with it? 

Typical condition for  a 220k miles beater. Someone replaced the motor but didn't finish the job. Its missing the radiator, the exhaust downpipe and some random small things in the engine bay. Notice the flowmaster hanging under there. The seats are destroyed, but the dash pad is the correct color and in mint shape.  I'll pull the valve cover/timing chain cover and spark plugs to peek inside, run a compression test, and see what needs to be done to it. 

I'm a fan of rust free items that I can take north with me     and clean 2dr stuff is about as hard to get as MJ stuff  

I have a pair of those behind the window vent panel things I saved from the crusher if you’d be interested in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/2/2021 at 10:45 PM, Pete M said:

I've got no idea if those are hard to find or not. :dunno:   I'm more interested in clean steel because I understand rust and what it does to Jeeps.  :( 

I'll ping you when I'm finished harvesting all the necessary parts off it. Do you want the entire body?

Bumper done!

This was surprisingly easy.

1. Remove factory bumper. 
  2. Lop off about 4" from the factory bumper bracket. Personal preference how far you want the bumper to stick out. I built mine to have the license plate flush with the tailgate. 
  3. Weld a piece of 3/16" plate to the bracket and a short section of 1" square stock for reinforcement  I painted my brackets with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator and after it dried, sprayed with Rustoleum Hammered paint. 
  4. Trace and trim bumper to match body lines. A dremel with a sanding drum makes quick work of it. 
  5. Wire up license plate lights

Thankyou to @JackD for the idea!

Only thing left is pop in a trailer wire plug (junkyard) and a flush-mount 2"x5" white LED to use as a backup light in place of the tow hook on the left side.

20210305_224518.jpg

20210305_223949.jpg

20210304_180544.jpg

20 minutes ago, jeff351 said:

Do you want the entire body?

maybe? :dunno:  I generally prefer not to because taking the whole body means renting a trailer twice (one to fetch it and once to dispose of it).  but an XJ is different than an MJ and I've gotta read up on the various bits that go bad and what someone would need.  I dunno. :thinking:  keep me posted :L:  I'm sure we can figure something out. :D  

• 2 weeks later...

Through my parents, I discovered one of their retired friends does upholstery work. For $20 I got my visors done to match the headliner. Win!  

Otherwise, no major updates. I keep a drip pan under Scuzzy in the garage, suspiciously its stopped leaking even though the fluid levels are good. Now prepping my spare XJ for the 4.0 4x4 swap. 

visor.jpg

For my 4.0 4x4 5spd donor XJ, I figured it would be smart to get it all sorted out before swapping it all into Scuzzy; the PO chopped up the wiring harness in a few areas, and after 2 weeks of sorting through the service manual and online forums, I realized lets just get a replacement harness instead of trying to piece-meal it all back together. So this weekend at the local junkyard, I harvested a mint wiring harness, a toolbox full of OEM relays, tidbits, and a gauge cluster for $47. 

20210322_193540.jpg