Need New Engine for my truck

hey group I am a new member and I own a 1986 Comanche X long bed 2.8 V6 4x4 5 speed manual tran. and I am looking for the best swap since that truck is never going to leave my garage my first option was an ls swap with an NV3500 transmission looking for some power  then i thought of a 4bt cummins  And now i think about the 4.0  what would be the best and easiest option to do

E4C79C8B-3828-4491-B46F-0A40D7E190FC.jpeg

110137F5-F645-4BBC-AD3A-0892B11A0052.jpeg

4.0s don't like the 1986 comanche. Need to bang up the firewall for it to fit well. Ls swap is expensive, so is a 4bt. I would suggest a 3.4 v6 from a Camaro I believe? Might be a 4.3, I'm not sure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Welcome. In the end about any swap is possible. First place to start in my mind is deciding what you plan on doing with the truck. Second step determine how much power do you need and how much power do you want. Third what all will you need to upgrade to be able to run your decisions. Forth can you afford all of the above to get done and do you have the time it will take. Then it's time to get busy. 

1 minute ago, WahooSteeler said:

Didn't somebody on here do a GM 3.8?

Not saying you can't but it's also a 90 degree V6 so more work like the 4.3 but smaller displacement and less parts availability.

7 minutes ago, OAP said:

I find a 3800 supercharged engine and now looking for a trany that works with but i think it should be some trouble for the 4x4 and manual

if it has the 60* chevy bolt pattern, you can get late 90s dakota L4 (or aftermarket) bellhousing and then run an AX-15 :D  

That is going to be allot of work to get a 205-225 horse power engine. 

https://www.s10forum.com/threads/2-8-to-231-3-8-swap.461895/

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/www.thirdgen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=720097

Not trying to be a buzz kill but you should read through these. Both the S-10 and Camaro had the wonderful 2.8. Lots of people swap them out. 3.8 is just not work the time and $$$$ IMHO.

I can say that before I fell in love with Jeep I did a few oddball swaps.

87 RX-7 got a350 Chevy. It's actually fit descent but it was pointless. You could smoke the tires in our through any and all gears. It was fun to drive though.

Helped a buddy out a 440 into a AMC Javelin but that was easy.

92 BMW 326i was blessed with a Ford 302 and 5 speed. The only real challenge was exhausted. Shorty headers backwards was the start and then it got ugly from there.

Then I found my CJ-7. My love of Jeeps started along with another engine swap. It had already had a GM struggling did swapped in to replace the GM 4 cylinder. I put in a bored/balanced 305 that was just a blast to drive. I still have it and someday I will put in a tranny that will hold up. 

Anything is possible but an engine swap from a different family will be expensive!!! The engine will be the cheap part. From there you just keep opening cans of worms.

27 minutes ago, Pete M said:

if it has the 60* chevy bolt pattern, you can get late 90s dakota L4 (or aftermarket) bellhousing and then run an AX-15 :D  

3.8 is a 90 degree block. 2.8,3.1, and 3.4 are all 60 degree block.

The easiest swap is the 3.4 anything else is very extensive. It's all up to how far your ready to go and how much time and money you have available.

Best swap for that Jeep is the 3.4, if your clever enough you can run off the 3.4 intake and injection with the harness . Otherwise it’s a simple swap to bolt on all the 2.8 accessories and drop it back in the Jeep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 11:40 PM, WahooSteeler said:

His daily MJ before he went to a KJ had a 3.4, and I thought he may have done a 3.8 in one of his other MJs, or at least talked about it. 

Nope, never did a 3.4.  Went straight to Buick 3800.

the Buick 3800 is a 90 degree engine with a 60 degree bellhousing, but starter located on the drivers side.

the ax15 and nv3550 will hook to it with a mid 90s dodge Dakota 4 cylinder bellhousing.  Use a flywheel for a 3800 camaro as well as the clutch.  Shave 5/16” off the pivot mount for the throw out plate, 5/16” off the slave push rod, and clarance throw out plate on back side as required to clear the bearing shaft (aka front input cover).

custom engine mounts needed, custom headers needed, swap to 4.0 hood, front crossmember, core support required.  Use 4.0 radiator with dual electric fans.

painless DOES make a wiring harness.

a VATS bypass will be needed for the sentry key to make it run.

best donors are 95+ camaro and firebird with the series 2.

On 6/7/2020 at 12:01 PM, OAP said:

I find a 3800 supercharged engine and now looking for a trany that works with but i think it should be some trouble for the 4x4 and manual

Ax15 or nv3550 with mid 90s Dakota 4 cylinder bellhousing.

but, supercharger will put the throttle body inside the firewall

On 6/6/2020 at 10:33 PM, WahooSteeler said:

Didn't somebody on here do a GM 3.8?

The best/easiest/most cost effective swap by far is the GM 3.4L V6. But it has to be from a rear-wheel drive vehicle -- Camaro or Firebird.