Rear Dana 44 options

It might but would definitely take some fabrication. Not 100% sure, but I don’t think the bolt pattern would match either unless you swapped the front axle as well.

Other rear options could be a MJ or XJ 44, but they’re pretty hard to come by. Ford 8.8 axle is another option (same bolt pattern, disc brakes, just slightly narrower). 

2 hours ago, Ls2xjcomanche said:

Here’s an article that might help you narrow down your options. Good luck!

https://www.offroadxtreme.com/news/dana-35-vs-dana-44-whats-the-difference/

The Dana 44 comes in multiple varieties and that article only shows the TJ/XJ Dana 44. First off the ZJ V8 d44 is an aluminum housing setup similar to the corvette version. The 98+ rodeo/passport d44 has d60 size pinion and an 8.9” ring gear. Quite a bit beefier than the 8.8. Thicker axle tubes as well. I think a lot of people think that Dana made a whole new axle for the JK but the HD gear set came out in 98 or maybe even earlier. The rodeo/passport axles also have disk brake options and most are 4.10 and 4.88 but you find plenty of different ratios depending on the vehicle. The Dana 44 was even used with 2wd 4cyl rodeo/passports. By the way, the dana 35 is still in use today in the JT and JL. The 07 JK also had a d35 depending on the build date. However the new d35’s are quite a bit stronger than the old ones in our trucks. The d44 in the rodeo/passport is a super good option and the only major drawback is the whee bolt pattern which can be addressed a number of ways. They are very cheap to pickup and super abundant in most places. Very stout axles that have been good on even 37’s without any major upgrades. 

Don’t mean to promote any other forum but here is the thread I wrote over there: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/definitive-info-passport-rodeo-dana-44-a-3006465/?amp=1

The first post was edited to reflect all the current info. I had a D44 from a JK, 95 rodeo/passport, 97 rodeo/ passport and 2000 rodeo/passport. Also had 4 exploder 8.8’s when going through the comparisons. I was building and selling most of these axles and had the option to keep any of them. The rodeo d44 is what I chose after working on them all. Lighter center section with much better clearance, thicker and stronger axle tubes, set 10 bearings upgradeable to set 20, 12.3” brake rotors, larger and stronger ring and pinion. Oh, and about 1/3 the price of the 8.8 at our local yards back stateside. The only down side you have to sort out is the wheel pattern. 

2 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Don’t mean to promote any other forum but here is the thread I wrote over there: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/definitive-info-passport-rodeo-dana-44-a-3006465/?amp=1

can you copy/paste  thread about it for here?  I'd love to get that into the DIY list. :L: 

Another great option is the Liberty 8.25.  it's the right wheel bolt pattern, 03-07 comewith disks, and is uber-plentiful in the junkyards right now. :D 

On 5/23/2020 at 6:34 AM, Pete M said:

Another great option is the Liberty 8.25.  it's the right wheel bolt pattern, 03-07 comewith disks, and is uber-plentiful in the junkyards right now. :D 

I immediately went to Google after reading that,every single one I found was a 3.7 V-6. And the 4 cylinder has 4.10s.

On 5/23/2020 at 8:34 AM, Pete M said:

This^^^^

I did the XJ 8.25 on my blue truck and just recently did the Liberty 8.25 on my red truck.  Definitely the way to go, as Pete said, they are plentiful right now, it comes with disks and only about an inch or so wider than the XJ/MJ axle.  Grab a prop valve from a Grand Cherokee with rear disks and you are set.

11 hours ago, BeatCJ said:

I immediately went to Google after reading that,every single one I found was a 3.7 V-6. And the 4 cylinder has 4.10s.

took me a couple years to find a 4.10 pair near me and for a reasonable amount of money (I needed the front diff too since they are going into my Liberty).  If you think the rear axle is hard to find, just try the 4.10 KJ front. :(  not a lot of people rejected the v6  but still wanted 4wd.

I just picked up an XJ Front with 4.10s today. It needs bearings, but the gears are good. I have the matching 8.25 rear end, but it's earmarked to fix the son's Cherokee. Be nice to get it out of my driveway.

Probably should stop the threadjacking...