GM 173 V6 swap for AMC 258 I6

auto to manual swap is easy enough

you'd need

ax5 + shifter

4wd shift linkage for ax5 (if you have 4wd)

flywheel for manual trans.

pilot bushing

clutch master and slave cylinder

pedal assembly (bolt in)

and there may be a minor difference in d.s. lengths but that I do not know.

you'd just swap all those parts on accordingly, and no longer use/need any of the auto stuff (auto shifter and cover plate, cable, trans., flexplate, pedal assembly, computer...if it's computer controlled) and you may have to splice a few wires for the sensors on the tranny, but probably will be the same.

a weekend's of work.

yeah i would say so. i would have to cut a hole inside the cab as well to place the shifter in wouldn't in?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rather than going out and buying a different comanche that would be a manual trans. how much work would need to be done to convert a auto to a stick? i like manual trans. better than auto. what i have heard is that auto is better for off roadin' though.

i do a lot of off roadin' when i go camping and fishing and i do both pretty often so i would like to fix this truck up to be fit for it a lot more and right now it pretty damn gutless.

An automatic is "better" than a manual for hard-core rock crawling, but even that can be done with a manual if geared correctly. For fishing trips and fire roads, IMHO an automatic doesn't offer any advantages. I've run some moderately tough trails in both my XJ and the '88 MJ ... both have 5-speeds. The XJ even still has the factory 3.08 gears.

rather than going out and buying a different comanche that would be a manual trans. how much work would need to be done to convert a auto to a stick? i like manual trans. better than auto. what i have heard is that auto is better for off roadin' though.

i do a lot of off roadin' when i go camping and fishing and i do both pretty often so i would like to fix this truck up to be fit for it a lot more and right now it pretty damn gutless.

An automatic is "better" than a manual for hard-core rock crawling, but even that can be done with a manual if geared correctly. For fishing trips and fire roads, IMHO an automatic doesn't offer any advantages. I've run some moderately tough trails in both my XJ and the '88 MJ ... both have 5-speeds. The XJ even still has the factory 3.08 gears.

so would you suggest switching to a manual transmission?

If you want to be able to get decent highway fuel mileage AND have a half-decent off-road crawl ratio, you need an overdrive, which the 3-speed auto doesn't offer. The ideal would be an AW4, but finding the right bell housing is virtually impossible. So ... the alternative is a 5-speed manual. If you know how to drive a manual tranny and don't mind shifting, then by all means do the swap.

If you want to be able to get decent highway fuel mileage AND have a half-decent off-road crawl ratio, you need an overdrive, which the 3-speed auto doesn't offer. The ideal would be an AW4, but finding the right bell housing is virtually impossible. So ... the alternative is a 5-speed manual. If you know how to drive a manual tranny and don't mind shifting, then by all means do the swap.

i'd much rather have a manual. i will most likely do the swap then. thanks.

On your swap I have a 85 mj it had the old v6, ax5 in it. everyone told me the I 6 wouldn't fit and need to modifly the fire wall. I bought a doner 89 cke, and with a saws all and 12 pack of beer i made it work. You only need to change the front radiator support and build a bottom piece for the radiator to fit in. also will have to move the crossmember back about 6 inches. change wire harness. It is not hard. it is eaiser when you have a doner sitting next to it so you can see what needs to be done. you can even use tha stock motor mounts. I used the whole thing ,motor, trans, t case. Fired right up. If the radiator is in good shape, take it in and they can put a spout in it like the 91& newer style.

J trucks rule i wish i had a 69 gladiator with the 327 those trucks are awsome. The truck i built right before i got my MJ was a 79 jeep j10. and it had the t18 jamminz.gif But all in all the mj is an awsome truck and when i finally get it done so that its a trail only truck i wanna build a gladiator to pull it

• 3 weeks later...
There should be a sticker on the inside of the drivers door, that will tell you the month of manufactur, I don't know the exact switchover time, but I'm guessing if it was made in 85 you'll need some modification.

i haven't done any swapping yet, i was talking with a friend about my original intentions on dropping the 258 I6 in it and he told that a 4.0L would be better. i did check the sticker on the drivers side door, but all the lettering is basically all faded away, so i couldn't really tell. could i check it by my VIN number?

I'm currently 80% finnished with a 2.8 - 5speed ---> 4.0L - aw4 swap in my 86 MJ and IMO the easyest task so far was actually to get the engine/auto/transfer into position.

i have the 2.8 auto. so did you have any troubles with the firewall?