Bent tailgate.

Hello all. 

I recently bought a shell for my MJ, and I'm having some trouble due to my tailgate. The shell itself fits fine, but does not close due to the fact that my tailgate is bent out near the middle. 

Have any of you guys straightened out their tailgate? Should I just look for another one? 

Thanks a bunch! 

Don't toss it...not sure how hard they are to fix, BUT.....
Tailgates are out there. Hard to find but still floating around. Hit the junkyard and jeep salvage lots. Online search. I know where One was in eastern NC last week with some rust but not bent. May still be there.
Keep that tailgate latch. Look hard and pounce when you find it. Shipping cost may be a factor. So would bodywork on your current one.

If your metal is good get an estimate to fix it. Then compare to getting another, ship it, and fix it.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

This was sitting at a junkyard near me last week. He does ship anywhere. Pm me and I can give you his contact info. It's in Washington, NC

Ps. I got those taillights.30ab52accb2d7cbea26d4faca9160c83.jpg

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

5 minutes ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

I don't have any pictures but I took out the screws for the tailgate handle and made a bracket that I could attach a couple ratchet straps to, then I hooked them to the factory bed tiedowns and pulled it forward until it was straight. 

Holy crap that's a genius idea!! Thanks for the new project!

3 hours ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

I don't have any pictures but I took out the screws for the tailgate handle and made a bracket that I could attach a couple ratchet straps to, then I hooked them to the factory bed tiedowns and pulled it forward until it was straight. 

Thanks! That's genius! 

2 hours ago, omega_rugal said:

mine was bent too well, it still is, took it off the truck and jumped on it to straighten it, didnt work, you must dissasemble it to get it back the way it was, i gave up...

Thanks!