Dead speedo...sometimes?

The first time it happened was about two months ago...but it fixed itself, so I ignored it. But it happened again today so I figured I'd ask.

I'd start driving...and all my gauges work, excpet the speedo.

The first time it happened, I tried smacking the top of the dash..nothing. So I pulled over, crawled under the truck to make sure the wiring was still connected, and it was. Started back up and driving, still nothing. So I decided to ignore it and use the tach for my speed. About 4 miles later it started working, while I was driving.

Exact same thing happened today except I didnt bother stopping. Speedo kicked back in about 4 miles later.

My guess....bad tooth on the speedo gear?

It did it again today. So it must be electrical, so I stopped at Carquest on my way to work and got some dialectrical grease.

I thought it could be the gear, because if I turned enough at enough speed it might have made the gear move enough to catch the worm gear in the trans.

But what I don't get...whether it's electrical or a bad gear...all three times it's come back, it was in the Exact same spot in the exact same curve on the exact same road. I don't get it.

Chances are my converted Ax-4 will be going in next weekend so I'll look at the speedo gears then and throw whatever one is in better condition in.

• 5 months later...

Ok, it did it again. Definitly not the gear since this is a completely different transmission than the other three times and didn't even use the same gear style, so it's not the same gear.

What I really, really don't get, regardless of what the cause is, is why does it kick back in on the EXACT same spot? And it has ONLY done it when I'm leaving directly from home to go to work. Just kinda creeping me out.

whoooo,,, whoooooooooooooooo......... its that ghost of the girl that died in that same spot 20 years ago,,,,,, better not breakdown there!!! ghost.gif

great. i am going to go on a limb here. its your gauge. and I'm guessing that thee is some type of ground that connects/disconnects when it hits a certain G rating

Put a new speed sensor in it. :D

Just pop the gear off the old one and put it on the new sensor. Common problem, both my 94 and 95 XJ's had this happen, I also so saw this problem all the time as a tech.

Put a new speed sensor in it. :D

Just pop the gear off the old one and put it on the new sensor. Common problem, both my 94 and 95 XJ's had this happen, I also so saw this problem all the time as a tech.

One little problem with that. My truck is a 91, so the original 2wd AX-4 has the new style(bigger) speedo gear setup, with the electric sender. The transmission I put in is from an 86 XJ, so it's got the little one, and it had a cable. I've only got the one electric sender, and at this point it could be the only culprit....anyone got an extra laying around? :brows:

edit: I do have another electric sender. It's attached to the blue truck.