Tailgate handle

7 minutes ago, Pete M said:

it's very important that the handle not contact the tailgate as it's pulled.  Very common to have that issue with the stock handles. :( 

What are you thinking? Original measurement in thicker metal?  Stay with the current slightly smaller drawing?

58 minutes ago, husky410ohio said:

Attach pdf drawing.  Budde Sheet Metal, Dayton Ohio made them for me and cost was $30 each plus tax in 2015.  They have a minimum order so I ordered a dozen but it took a year for me to sell them all.

latch handle jeep.PDF 149.19 kB · 2 downloads

Got it. Appreciate that it's a real deal blueprint too.

Ok CC, I will see what I can do. I will tell you that if I build them they won't be 100% the same, for starters they would be steel not stainless. And I don't have the equipment to make the bend at the bottom of the handle, but I can make all the other bends. I will radius the edges tho so it won't look so blocky. I'm going to try 14ga first because I have that on hand. I have a few tailgates I can use to test functionality of a "new" handle. 

Does anyone have a broken handle assembly they can send me with the handle removed that I can use for fit up? I will of course return it when I know I can/cannot build the handles.

I got 2 pieces cut up to test with. I'll see if I can't get them in the press brake this weekend. Still looking for a donor assembly!
20200306_135500.jpg.144f58a8d2cc6bdf6844eb1cbce6dcde.jpg
20200306_135519.jpg.ef161ca0f94db86d0db3d2fd0a19a0fc.jpg
Are you still in Spokane? If so, I have an assembly you can borrow.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

Now that you are proving yourself worthwhile and capable, why turn your attention to the whimp rear bumper that needs a stronger replacement. 

I don't mind tackling the small metal and vinyl projects, but between my fulltime job and my side business plus trying to raise a family I got my hands full right now. But time will tell. In the mean time I know JCR and Dirtbound make nice ones. Or are you looking for something more OEM replacement?

• 6 months later...
On 2/23/2020 at 5:21 PM, Airborne Janitor said:

So comparing the above photos to my extra tailgate handle, the "ears" of the repo handle don't seem to have the bends the oem one does. It looks to me like the repo one would work either way but it would be a bit narrower than the oem handle. If that's not a deal breaker I could take the above blueprint and try cutting one on a plasma table. The thickness of the OEM handle looks to be 14ga which is perfect because I have that on hand and a small metal brake to make the bends.  Does anyone know what the hole diameter size is?

20200223_141605.jpg.80035032066ecb380e2c48534c9654d9.jpg

20200223_141616.jpg.aaa9d47360d9bfbefd20ce2a9f4f0b37.jpg

Airborne, still working on the tailgate handles?