Parts to lookout for.

As a few of the more vetted folks on here have brought to my attention. Parts are becoming more and more hard to find. With offroading/ overlanding, and XJ's becoming more popular, simple supply and demand is bound to catch up. I wanted to ask all of you what parts do all really keep an eye for. Ones that may be a more specialized in the future. Little things are usually the first to stop being reproduced. I hope to have a discussion of parts youve had to replace multiple times do to wear and tare or just simply design failure. 

Here is what I have in my notes so far,

EXTERIOR- 

OEM Factory Accessories of any kind - ex: Sports Bar

Door Trim

Complete Rear end of truck - ex: Rear Lights / Tailgate

Hood

INTERIOR -

Really most of the interior is desirable. 

Clock

Factory Radio

Cluster

Bucket Seat brackets

Door Handles

Shift Boot

Relays ex: sentinel lights 

ENGINE AND DRIVE TRAIN

fusebox cover 

HARD TO FIND ALREADY-

from the rear window all the way to the bumper is difficult to obtain. These possibly should be cosmetic priorities?

what are some must haves for a MJ owner. 

The five piece grill set up is starting to get hard to find. I know the chrome marker bezels are reproduced but not black. 

As you said interior is desirable but pretty much everything from the door and back is unique and should be a must snag and don’t forget the drip rails. Under hood lamp and Renix 2.5L stuff is disappearing faster than the 4.0L 

Renix 2.5 stuff, as mentioned.  Especially the engine sensors.  AX-15 related parts (including the trans itself)....crossmember, shift rods/linkages and brackets (especially the bracket bolted to the trans tunnel), spare tire jack, tailgate latches, bucket seat floor brackets, fuel pump assemblies, tow hooks/brackets, rear window sliders.

I used to only look for "upgrades" like courtesy lights or fancy door panels.  Now I think about wear items and all the little things that break with time.  :(  It's a lot less exciting than finding a rollbar, but a non-busted up dash is super hard to find in a junkyard around me.

Everything.

I used to have a big list, but I've replaced it with the above.

There are certain things that I will grab 100% of the time without even needing to think about it. Electronics are a big one - Radios and radio accessories are an obvious one because of my particular specialty, but not just radios. Clocks, overhead console modules, Renix cruise control stuff if I ever find it. I have a bag of special test harnesses I made to test most electronic things in Jeeps of this period in the junkyard. Seat upholstery is probably the most recent addition to that list - from now on, I will skin any wingback XJ bucket seat I come across that is not torn regardless of fabric or color as long as I know the junkyard won't yell at me for doing it. If not, I'll buy the whole seat and tear it apart at home. If I can't use it, someone else will appreciate it.

Sun visor clips... Found 2 different models from Jeep XJs and still won't fit my MJ sun visors. Geez, how many variations do you need for such a stupid part??? Opening vent windows if the metal bits aren't rotten, especially the lock handle "button"...  Chevy handles will work but are a bit different and expensive IMO. Early 242 transfer cases with the 4x4 switch on the back; I have a 96 case with the switch on top, and it hits my 4x4 shifter. Front tow hooks for sure. All metal trim pieces that are in good shape: grille, windshield and windows. Good condition remote side mirrors. Select trac shifter bezel 1996 and down, really hard to find. And last but not least, factory emblems and nameplates.