Gas overflow after filling up.

Alright like the title says I have been battling this problem since I got LR. I have replaced the vents on top, the sending unit O-ring and an emissions hose. I have no idea what else to loom at or replace. I have even blown out the lines that go to the vents on top of the tank and the gas still over flows. 

Any suggestions? I vaguely recall someone blaming GM on this issue but don't remember.

I have not. I even went as far as taking the charcoal cannister apart and no dice there. Then I tried blowing in the lines with compressed air and down the filler neck it spit fuel back up but down the air side it did not. I believe the baffle is a problem in the tank.

Using your Sales Code Decoder per VIN (nice job by the way), three (3) different size Fuel Tanks (gallons) show up. 18.5, 20 & 23. Do all three tanks use the same filler neck? I'm wondering if there could be a mismatch between Tank size and Filler Neck.

No. The catalogue is showing me that all years use the same part number. As far as I know my truck is pretty unmolested which is nice. I haven't replaced the filler neck tubes. The only thing I can think of is the baffle but I can't find any info on the baffle being an issue for the tanks and the tank I have is an original 16 gal tank.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have no idea why this happens. I am willing to bet it is due to the pressure rate in which the pump dispenses fuel. Anyways I removed the sending unit last night from the tank to see if there was any obstructions to the baffle or vents and I found nothing other than slight rust. So I filled up this morning and listened closely to when the fuel was gonna come back out. All the vent lines are clear and every seal has been replaced on the tank.

This is still an issue with Jeeps through the 2000s. Whether or not it's the same cause, I don't know, but I fixed it on my 05 TJ and my buddy's KJ Libby.

There's a rollover check valve inside the tank, at the base of the filler tube. The tolerances are too tight on the spring loaded valve, and depending on temperature and humidity it can stick, causing the overflow. 

Solution is to reach in through the fuel pump hole, pop it out, grind down the ridges on the valve, and stick it back in. 

Again, don't know if that was the same issue back then, but I know it plagues Jeeps at least as far back as the 97 TJ.

There are no check valves on the XJ/MJ that I've ever seen.  Straight through to the tank.  

I occasionally have it spew gas out when it clicks off after filling or the pump refuses to dispense and keeps clicking off.  This ha ls all happened to both XJs and both MJs I have/had. 

Try putting the filler spout only halfway in the Jeep, like just far enough in that it stays without you holding it.  For some reason I never have a filling issue when I do this.

Just now, Dzimm said:

Try putting the filler spout only halfway in the Jeep, like just far enough in that it stays without you holding it.  For some reason I never have a filling issue when I do this.

Funny enough I think I tried that when I filled up. I got better results that time, gas still wanted to spew out but I caught it.

I think it also comes down to having just replaced the sending unit seal to where now the tank is perfectly sealed and air isn't escaping out of that point. Since the last fill up I noticed I put 15 gallons in and I would say I had about 2 gallons left in the tank so I over filled, so I think it is safe to say at that fill up it clicked off right when it should've and would've read right at the "F" on the gauge. 

Next fill up I will have to try this theory.

2 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Funny enough I think I tried that when I filled up. I got better results that time, gas still wanted to spew out but I caught it.

I think it also comes down to having just replaced the sending unit seal to where now the tank is perfectly sealed and air isn't escaping out of that point. Since the last fill up I noticed I put 15 gallons in and I would say I had about 2 gallons left in the tank so I over filled, so I think it is safe to say at that fill up it clicked off right when it should've and would've read right at the "F" on the gauge. 

Next fill up I will have to try this theory.

Just so I can fully understand the problem you are having, is the pump not clicking off at all, like it will just pump gas on the ground?  Or does it do like mine and puke gas out when it clicks off?

Just now, Dzimm said:

Just so I can fully understand the problem you are having, is the pump not clicking off at all, like it will just pump gas on the ground?  Or does it do like mine and puke gas out when it clicks off?

It still pukes out when the pump clicks off, which has been the issue for forever. I haven't had a pump keep pumping when it is full. 

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

It still pukes out when the pump clicks off, which has been the issue for forever. I haven't had a pump keep pumping when it is full. 

Yeah try the sticking out part way and see what happens.  Hopefully it works for you.

On 1/27/2020 at 8:32 PM, eaglescout526 said:

Any other possibilities?

At the charcoal canister remove the vent line from the fuel tank and let it vent to air. Try fuel fill that way.

• 2 months later...