Homebuilt Smoker

Here's my first foray into smoking. I decided against spending big money on a smoker until I get some delicious practice in first to see how much I'll actually use it. Found an old oven sitting curbside for free, things went from there.

Details: Rewired to 110V, original 220V element is now calculated at ~800W. It's enough to hit 350F, although it takes a while. It'll hit 250F in less than 10 minutes from cold, so that's good enough for me.

Inkbird ITC-106VH PID controller: first one was DOA, second works well. Can probably tune better, but it holds temp +-3F.

Smoke comes from an AMNPS pellet tray in the mailbox, then through the ductwork into the bottom of the oven. First run smoked about 10 hours off of 1 tray.

Built a rolling cart from scrap lumber and HF furniture dolly casters.

Total cost is somewhere around $80.

The oven is a 1974 model GE. One of the first to offer self-cleaning, it's pretty well insulated, also, it's a bit of a unique size at 27".

The maiden run was a small pork butt for 9.5 hours at 225F. Flavor was fantastic, but it was a pretty sorry cut of meat.

It may not be pretty or make a smoke ring, but it's working fine for me.

Yall have a good one.

7458985f2178a3fcba03d91b85182e03.jpg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

1f30fe0c69a26fdd5e36ef17f4579d0a.jpg

Nice! Great ingenuity.:L:

Do those jalapeno poppers :drool: have a little smokey inside them? 
I've made some that do, but I mainly prefer without. Just a jalapeno with pimento cheese and bacon, hickory smoked.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk