MJ Cab Extension

Has anyone ever considered/seen a MJ cab extension using just 2 door XJ doors to gain extra cab room?  I don't mean four doors or extra seating like the Cheromanche concept.  Just more cab room for a tall guy like me.  The seats could be relocated rearward a few inches.

I assume to do this right, the bed could be shortened at the front to make room for the longer cab.  With possible gas tank relocation.  Perhaps a LWB or bobbed LWB MJ would be the best candidate.

I'm just pondering this with no real intention of doing it unless I go crazy.  Really wondering if it's been done or considered.

I seem to recall seeing an extended MJ like you describe.  May need to do some deep Google image searching to find it tho.  

I'm not familiar with the differences between a lwb and swb frame rails but you may get away with using a lwb and extending the cab a foot and replace the bed with a swb bed.  Basically transferring the extra foot you get from using the shorter bed to the cab.

I feel it may be easier to just chop the section out of the XJ unibody as one piece and splice it into the MJ, much like the 4dr versions but only the rear portion of the 2dr door.  That way your only real fabrication work would be the roof and floor pan and wouldn't need to touch the bed at all.

Finding pictures was easier than I thought.

311714932.jpg.4e6f5163cd98094bbd7f69c101b953af.jpg

Not sure if this is real as this truck has been Photoshoped before but this is big door with extra cab behind it.

Here's a listing for an extended cab MJ.  Judging by the roofline it appears this is the nose of a 2dr XJ mated to the rear of an MJ.

http://www.jeepcomancheforsale.com/1986-custom-w-extended-cab-camper-shell-calexico-ca/

1986_calexico-ca_featured.jpg.51b1804144b0ede25bdd89207dc5eb85.jpg

44 minutes ago, WahooSteeler said:

I always thought this was a popular photoshop job.........this is real Pete?

The truck itself is real, pretty much all pictures of it are fake tho.  It's comes in the flavors of the extended cab, 4dr, and I believe a 6dr.  

46d93b5636571160df45d5e5b6b25db4.jpg

I've had a dream to stretch the roof and floor in Lwb mj using xj 2drs. No extended cab beyond that. Just stretched leg room along with room for internal cage. I'm a corn fed midwesterner and the extra room would be nice especially as I age, get stiff, and now seem to keep the belly year round:laugh:

This has been talked about several times over the last 10 or 12 years.  The doors for the 2 door are about 8 inches longer than the 4 door XJ/MJ doors if I recall correctly    Somebody posted 5 years ago it was going to be a winter project for him, but nothing ever came of it.  I suspect just way too expensive.  Just buy a Dakota or a Tacoma and be done with it.