Derf's Comanche project

derf

So I have taken my first step into my next Jeep project.

This build will start slowly as I have some things to do before I can really get started.  But I have started.  Today I picked up a pair of Comanches.  They are both 2WD short beds.  The grey one is a 1987 with the 4.0 and a manual trans.  The red one is a 1991 with a 4 cylinder and manual trans.

They are both mostly straight and rust free.  Both of them have beds that have had a little bit of damage.

The long term plan is to take the 87 and build up a dedicated trail rig on 37's.  I plan on a rear spring-over with a front long arm on 6" coils or so.  I'll add bump stops to keep the tires out of the fenders.  It hasn't run in a long time so I need to determine the condition of the 4.0.  If it's in decent shape, I'll just get it running.  If not, it will be rebuilt or replaced.

I'm already planning on swapping out the transmission.  I believe it has the Peugeot, and it's 2WD.  And that's no good.  My plan is to find a donor AW4 from an XJ of the same vintage, along with all of the computer and wiring harness.  I'll probably rebuild it at that time.  I haven't ruled out swapping in a newer HO fuel injection to replace the Renix.  I'm flexible on that.

The transfer case will most certainly be an Atlas with a deep low range.

As far as axles, I have a few options there.  I have thought about a high pinion 44/9" combo from a late 70's Ford.  But I haven't ruled out re-purposing the SJ Wagoneer axles I had under another XJ.  They're Dana 44's front and rear and the front is already set up for an XJ.  I just need to put some gears and a locker back in and I can bolt it right under.  The rear 44 concerns me on 37's.  It might be enough or it might not.  The Comanche isn't too terribly heavy so I may be able to make it work.  Or I might find an alternative.

One of the things I have to start with is the plan for cutting the fenders.  The fenders on both of these are really in pretty good shape.  So I probably want to find someone with some beat up/cut up fenders that they would be willing to swap for nice OE fenders in good shape.  The rear beds are both damaged though the sides are in good shape.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with those.

Of course, no build thread would be good without pictures:

grey.jpg

red.jpg

7 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Well we now know those ones in the craigslist section are gone. Both are in nice shape. Shame the taillights were sold off of them. Good luck and Welcome. Be sure to add them to the registry for build dates and sheets!

Given the damage to both of them at the back ends, it's likely that the tail lights were destroyed instead of sold.

I like the idea of having actual bed sides.  I'm not opposed to trading the bed to someone who wants to fix it up in exchange for one in worse shape.  Although a stake bed may be an interesting option.

58 minutes ago, derf said:

I like the idea of having actual bed sides.  I'm not opposed to trading the bed to someone who wants to fix it up in exchange for one in worse shape.  Although a stake bed may be an interesting option.

Or build a military style bed like this. 

D66B1D89-ED74-4465-B077-685B3C0769B4.jpeg.450abaabc27e4e5bb2ea80bfdb7189c2.jpeg

More pictures to share about what I'm starting with.

First off, the silver one.  It has very obviously been repainted.  There is overspray in a few places and some of the top coat is coming off.  Further evidence of a respray is that the tail has had some pretty thick bondo work.  That work got exposed after it got hit again.

silvertail1.jpg

silvertail2.jpg

silvertail3.jpg

silvertail4.jpg

silverbedside.jpg

The driver side tail light bucket is not without it's own damage from the last hit as well.

silvertail5.jpg

The back of the bed has been mushed a bit

silverbed.jpg

The tailgate didn't really survive the hit very well either.

tailgate1.jpg

tailgate2.jpg

It's probably something one could fix if they really wanted to but they would have to be very motivated.  Chances are I'm just going to keep this bed given the damage and my intended use of the Jeep.

I will have to see about finding a good replacement dash pad.  It's been chewed on a little...

silverdash.jpg

Still in all, it's mostly in decent shape besides these issues.  So it's a good starter for a project.

The red one has a couple of issues with the bed as well.  It has been bumped at least once.  The bumper is tweaked.

redbumper.jpg

The tail light bucket has seen better days.

redtail.jpg

The bed side has been nudged.

redside.jpg

The driver's rocker panel has been pushed.

redrocker.jpg

But at least the dash is intact with a sweet aftermarket cassette player with bass boost!

reddash.jpg

I'm pretty much convinced the silver one will become the trail rig.

I had a thought about maybe dropping an LS with a manual transmission into the red one and making it into a fun run-around truck.

In the short term though, they will probably sit for most of the winter without anything happening to them.

24 minutes ago, derf said:

had a thought about maybe dropping an LS with a manual transmission into the red one and making it into a fun run-around truck.

Problem about V8 swaps and drops is cooling. The engine bay is small enough that you can put one in but cooling will be a problem. 

14 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Problem about V8 swaps and drops is cooling. The engine bay is small enough that you can put one in but cooling will be a problem. 

True.  But hood vents or maybe some side vents on the fenders (or both) would be needed.

I have several months to plan. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 12:11 PM, Pete M said:

what is it with past MJ owners and backing into things?  :doh:

also, that's a huge chunk of bondo there. :( 

the trucks look solid though.  perfect for your plans. :L:  

Yeah, I figure that bed is good for a trail rig.  I'll pull the fender flares before I cut the openings for the tires.  Someone will want them.

• 1 month later...

The parts accumulation phase is underway.  I found a dash pad a while back.  Also picked up a renix wiring harnes and TCC for the AW4 I have already picked up.

Yesterday I grabbed a front Dana 60 from a 2002 F350.  It's the one in the back.  The other one is for my buddy's TJ and it's out of a 95 F350.

I'm going to grab a matching Sterling rear (or Dana 80) out of a compatible Superduty to get the 8 on 170 bolt pattern.  5.38s will turn a set of 40s pretty well.

FB_IMG_1577119050427.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing special but I picked up some roller wheels and tires.  They're small enough I should be able to get it out of the garage when it's lifted.  It won't fit out the door if it's on 40s...

IMG_20200707_150805.jpg