Revalving a powersteering pump

2 hours ago, Smokeyyank said:

Do revalve a stock XJ pump. Either WJ pump or an underdrive pulley. 

I'd also look at running a cooler and a in line filter. 

I have a cooler with a inline filter attached to it. 

So does the wj pump push more fluid? 

3 hours ago, 75sv1 said:

Did you look at the WJ pump?  It does a bit better than the stock XJ pump. I don't know what the Dakota has for a PS pump. Some of them are set up for a snow plow. 

I am headed to the junk yard this week and will see about the Dakota pumps. Is the bracketry the same? I work at a machine shop so I can machine a new mount 

WJ does pump more fluid but you need to upgrade the steering gear to the Durango box as well. It's awesome upgrade, ran it on my XJ locked on 33's and it made a world of difference.  It's fairly bolt on but you need to do a few things. 

-Need a bigger spacer on the gear as it will hit the unibody.  

-Need to tweek some of the brackets on the pump, tapping one or something (can't remember what I had to do but it's wasn't that difficult)

-Keep the MJ pump fitting, the WJ fitting will not work properly. 

2 hours ago, Smokeyyank said:

WJ does pump more fluid but you need to upgrade the steering gear to the Durango box as well. It's awesome upgrade, ran it on my XJ locked on 33's and it made a world of difference.  It's fairly bolt on but you need to do a few things. 

-Need a bigger spacer on the gear as it will hit the unibody.  

-Need to tweek some of the brackets on the pump, tapping one or something (can't remember what I had to do but it's wasn't that difficult)

-Keep the MJ pump fitting, the WJ fitting will not work properly. 

Do you have to upgrade the steering box because of the fittings? 

14 hours ago, dustyinthedirt said:

I did not. There is the threading fitting that the pressure hose goes to. That needs swapped in from the MJ/XJ PS Pump, so the threaded fitting on the hose can match up. Since you will be using your original Gear Box, you don't need to do anything there. I think the Durango/Dakota box is a direct  fit, except for the spacers from the frame as stated before.

I think the '70s Corvette had hydraulic ram type steering. 

On the west Texas Offroad website their is a write up of how to make it flow more by drilling’s out the fitting. I have an extra stock pump that I am gonna try and do this to to see how much it helps. 

The write up also states that if you drill out the fitting to much you can blow the seals out of the box. :idea:

thats nuts

16 hours ago, dustyinthedirt said:

No, the whole purpose of doing the WJ pump is to get more flow for a bigger box, if your on a stock box it's really a moot point. If you want a little more umph when at lower speeds just go with the smaller under drive pulley. 

If you're planning to run a ram assist I'm guessing you're going 35s+. A stock box is only good for so much and if you're swapping tons, (guessing because of your sig) I would get a bigger box along with pump. It's a noticeable size difference between the stock box and the durango one. 

6 hours ago, Smokeyyank said:

No, the whole purpose of doing the WJ pump is to get more flow for a bigger box, if your on a stock box it's really a moot point. If you want a little more umph when at lower speeds just go with the smaller under drive pulley. 

If you're planning to run a ram assist I'm guessing you're going 35s+. A stock box is only good for so much and if you're swapping tons, (guessing because of your sig) I would get a bigger box along with pump. It's a noticeable size difference between the stock box and the durango one. 

I am currently running 37s and I drilled tapped the box already with intentions to go to a bigger box later. I will look into the smaller pulley for sure. That’s a great idea

Just replaced my pump w/reservoir (reman) and pulley. Removed my PS mount and brackets. Took a wire wheel to them and painted for a nice clean look. Haven’t lifted it yet. Don’t plan on doing any off roading to need better response. I would go for an aftermarket pump and mounts. Looked into it but I just want to get her rode ready so I can enjoy her for a bit before going all out on a build.