Engine noise

I'm not sure I follow you. You said it sounds like it's coming from the back but then said it sounds like it's coming from the belt which is in the front of the engine. You could try taking a long screwdriver and placing the tip on the location where you think the sound is coming from then placing the handle on your ear. The sound will travel through to your ear and amplify it. This also helps to pinpoint the location.

Can you describe what sound I should be listening for? I couldn't really hear anything from the audio clip that sounds out of the norm. Maybe someone on here with a better trained ear can pinpoint the sound better?

Oh and if you think the sound is coming from the belt or a pulley, don't try the screwdriver trick. Hahaha

6 hours ago, Cheapamanche said:

I'm not sure I follow you. You said it sounds like it's coming from the back but then said it sounds like it's coming from the belt which is in the front of the engine. You could try taking a long screwdriver and placing the tip on the location where you think the sound is coming from then placing the handle on your ear. The sound will travel through to your ear and amplify it. This also helps to pinpoint the location.

Can you describe what sound I should be listening for? I couldn't really hear anything from the audio clip that sounds out of the norm. Maybe someone on here with a better trained ear can pinpoint the sound better?

Oh and if you think the sound is coming from the belt or a pulley, don't try the screwdriver trick. Hahaha

Thanks for the feed back, I know it sounds confusing.  It sounds like its from the back but I second guess my self because I recently replaced the power steering pump.  Had to look up the screwdriver trick, but don't have a long enough screwdriver to even think of doing it. 

7 hours ago, Eagle said:

Go to any of the auto parts chain stores and buy an automotive stethoscope.

AGREED.  They are cheap, and if you own/fix old Jeeps, they can help you identify suspicious noises that seem to crop up.

Get a plastic milk container or a 2 litre soda (pop for some people) bottle.  Cut the bottom off the bottle.  Put the long handle screw driver in to the pour end of the bottle.  Now you have a "speaker" to listen for the sounds.  Plus, you don't have to put your face close to the screw driver.

On 8/15/2019 at 1:13 PM, 87MJTIM said:

Get a plastic milk container or a 2 litre soda (pop for some people) bottle.  Cut the bottom off the bottle.  Put the long handle screw driver in to the pour end of the bottle.  Now you have a "speaker" to listen for the sounds.  Plus, you don't have to put your face close to the screw driver.

Woah, that's a good one! It wouldn't look pretty but it's a great idea.

• 1 month later...