Bodywork/Hillbilly Engineering Help

Earlier this year my MJ got in a fight with a snowbank and lost. Took a hit to the front driver area. I pushed out a dent in the fender and now the door and fender jam. It looks like the fender needs to move forward, but I'm not seeing any way to do that. Any ideas?

20190719_121544.jpg

20190719_121558.jpg

20190720_105739.jpg

Take a wide putty knife and insert it between the door and fender in the gap . As you try to open the door ,pry the fender forward until the door gets behind the fender . Then insert the putty knife behind the fender and infront of the door and start to shut the door and the putty knife will pus the fender out far enough so the door and fender won't touch again. You'll probably have to work up and down the gap to get good results. 

From your photos I would say the front fender (side next to your door) needs to be pulled out, meaning away from the truck, more. StrokerMJcomanche's idea will start the process. However, if it was me I would pull the entire panel off, hammer out that edge from the backside and then rehang it. You might also take a close look at your door hinges. Make sure they did crack or start to pull off the body.

On 8/9/2019 at 7:09 PM, Dzimm said:

Is the whole front end crooked?  Did you hit the snow bank with the front end?  

Impact was ONLY at the front passenger corner. Bent fender, bumper, cracked signal marker.

On 8/9/2019 at 7:39 PM, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

From your photos I would say the front fender (side next to your door) needs to be pulled out, meaning away from the truck, more. StrokerMJcomanche's idea will start the process. However, if it was me I would pull the entire panel off, hammer out that edge from the backside and then rehang it. You might also take a close look at your door hinges. Make sure they did crack or start to pull off the body.

Hinges looked okay.

3 minutes ago, NC Tom said:

Impact was ONLY at the front passenger corner. Bent fender, bumper, cracked signal marker.

I'm wondering if it didn't tweak the whole inner fender.  I'd take the fender off and inspect everything then make adjustments to it.

On 8/9/2019 at 7:03 PM, Strokermjcomanche said:

Take a wide putty knife and insert it between the door and fender in the gap . As you try to open the door ,pry the fender forward until the door gets behind the fender . Then insert the putty knife behind the fender and infront of the door and start to shut the door and the putty knife will pus the fender out far enough so the door and fender won't touch again. You'll probably have to work up and down the gap to get good results. 

The doors opens and with a loud KERPLANG!! the door goes behind the fender. So from here, I'll try the putty knife thing. :thumbsup:

I had a similar issue with my drivers door after letting it swing open to far while leaning downhill without a limiting strap. I used a combination of the putty knife method and then added a few body washers at the lowest fender mounting point. Been fine for a few years now. 

I like to use cardboard or paper towel at the end of the roll, don't feel like I'm going to scratch the paint that way, it will take a little longer as the cardboard will indent first. Fixed many doors that way.

1988 swb 4.0 ax15 np 231 red with gray interior.