AW4 syncronized or non syncronized?

It is sequential and you do not have 2nd if you just disconnect the trans computer and just drive it. 

If you got an aftermarket shifter or rigged up relays for an electronic shifter to control the solenoids you can shift into any gear you wanted.

i know, but not all transmisions can skip gears without problems, as they are not meant to be driven without a TCU, i can't find any info about this for the aw4...

ok i can guess the shift from 1<->3 can be done as they lie next to each other in the manual lever but what about 2<->4?

15 minutes ago, omega_rugal said:

some transmisions are not designed skip gears, at least not too quickly

You are aware that Cruiser54 used to be the service manager at a Jeep dealership, right?

I drove my 98 XJ for a couple years without the TCU with no issues.  There are also shifter kits to convert it to manually sifted and there are plenty of people who have done it long term with success, even the autocross turbo XJ uses manually selected gears for races and I never heard they had issues.  I don't think I've ever read about an AW4 having problems because of it at all.  I had the same concerns as you when I first disconnected my TCU but after researching it, I found strong evidence it had no effect on it.

Yup, the AW4 is one of those "it just @#$%ing works" things. It'll do whatever the TCU (or an aftermarket controller) tells it to. Mine has absolutely no qualms with kicking down to 1st from 3rd and as mentioned before, without the TCU, the default behavior is skipping second gear as there isn't a dedicated position on the factory shifter for 2nd. I have no reason to believe that 2<->4 is any different.

3 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

I'm not aware of any modern automatic trans that requires sequential shifting.  I'm curious what ones would.

most if nor all modern trannies are non sequential by design, the aw4 is a 30+ years old when electronics controls were being phased in

15 hours ago, Minuit said:

I have no reason to believe that 2<->4 is any different.

2nd is problematic in many transmisions, releasing a component while applying another in one perfect move was a challenge for the engineers back then, and now that i think of it would be the less used shift, going at cruse and so braking hard as to skip 3rd...

16 hours ago, Dzimm said:

even the autocross turbo XJ uses manually selected gears for races and I never heard they had issues. 

that sounds like shifting quicky throught all gears at full throttle...fair enough